Aqualung equivalent to Scubapro 109/156/G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About Micron - it has too small membrane. There is just physics - as bigger membrane - as easier breathing. (How do you think - why doubehoser likes their diving? :) )
Most close to 109 etc I suspect is Aqualung Impulse Cryo
fig5th_15.gif

Last edited:
About Micron - it has too small membrane. There is just physics - as bigger membrane - as easier breathing.

I am not so sure about this. The trend for the past 20 years or so is to make more compact regulators which seems to breath as well as the larger models they replace.

Yes, but that knob is not really an adjuster as on the 109/156/G250, it's limited, isn't it? And just more for surface free flows?

There were several iterations of this. First, you had the Micra, then the Micra adjustable, then the Mircron. The Micra was paired with the heavy Cousteau / SEA first stage. I believe at some point with the Micra adjustable, AL paired it with a regular Titan first stage. The Micron does use a Titan first stage.

Yes, trend goes to minimisation (I`m also like to have as mini as possible equipment), but for regulators 2nd stages it unacceptable (exclude models like Piel Micro or Poseidon XStream with pilot valve), it is just phisics. Just phisics can conquer marketing.
I do like russian demand valve from soviet AVM-5 for breathing
807_1.jpg

it has contraflow valve and one of the biggest membranes from single hose regulators.
And breathing from it is easyest!

btw: thread here is not 9/16, but М18х1,5 - bigger than UNF 9/16 (it has 14mm diameter) - so this device big enough.
i-2610.jpg

- in size compare with DIN or 1st stage - it really big

Last edited:
About Micron - it has too small membrane. There is just physics - as bigger membrane - as easier breathing. (How do you think - why doubehoser likes their diving? :) )
Most close to 109 etc I suspect is Aqualung Impulse Cryo
fig5th_15.gif

Looks like they went away from the lever and the dual exhaust valves on the Micra when they redesigned it as the Micron. I see similarities and differences.

АлександрД,

You can get around the smaller diaphragm somewhat with a longer demand lever. It's a trade off.

My Scubapro G-500 and my Atomics are small (not Micra-small) and they breathe fantastic. The Atomics will hold with anything.

Just wondering what the consensus is about the US Divers/Aqualung second stage equivalent to the classic 109/156/G250 SP regs?

I can see that SP 108 = USD/Aqualung 1085 series with similar unbalanced all metal can design (but larger exhaust valve and venturi assist vane on the 1085) but cannot seem to see an equivalent balanced adjustable offering to match the SP 156/G250?

Legend/Titan LX/Titan LX2?

The closest Aqua Lung product to the G250, would be the Apeks TX and ATX series second stages. I learned how to dive in 1991 with a shop that was both an Aqualung and Scubapro dealer. From what I remember, all the second stage US Divers used at the time were unbalanced downstream designs that only varied cosmetically. The differences were in the first stages. I purchased a Conshelf 21 for $99.00 on special. Scubapro had a more varied line but was super expensive for me at the time.

You can get around the smaller diaphragm somewhat with a longer demand lever. It's a trade off.
My Scubapro G-500 and my Atomics are small (not Micra-small) and they breathe fantastic. The Atomics will hold with anything.
Agree with you, but for longer lever you need longer free running, so you need bigger inner space, so you receive bigger dead volume.
About modern international regulators - manufacturers found balance between size and easy breathing, and most modern regulators (2nd stages) has similar diameter of membranes. In our country our manufacture still use same, bigger size, also because most of that regulators not for divers, but for commercial divers and special forces.

There were several iterations of this. First, you had the Micra, then the Micra adjustable, then the Mircron. The Micra was paired with the heavy Cousteau / SEA first stage. I believe at some point with the Micra adjustable, AL paired it with a regular Titan first stage. The Micron does use a Titan first stage.

My very first reg set was a Cousteau with Micra Adj. I got a wide exhaust T for it. I really liked it.

Aha.. didn't realise they made a wider exhaust, are they still listed as an available part?

Seems the Mikron was redesigned after the Micra... despite a similar very compact package not much really remains in the second stage (single lever replaced with more conventional H type, dual exhausts back to single, unbalanced poppet now balanced etc)
The first stage appears completely rethought with weight in mind vs Micra and Titan... I wonder how much metal is left?!
Not a fan of the new ACD though...
Mikron ACD - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom