Info Aqualung Financial Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably not at least in the short term since Barings is taking it over.

So bottom line, does this mean the possible end of Aqualung as we know it?
Pretty much a trainwreck in slow motion.
Yes, we don't know other than there will be some kind of change. Private equity does not take over a company in order to dump a bunch of money in and nurse it back to health.

Let's hope someone does a better job than AMF did with Harley. Anyone else remember those pos's?

Let's hope someone does a better job than AMF did with Harley. Anyone else remember those pos's?
Yep. Complete garbage. You had to stop every hundred miles and tighten damn near every nut and bolt. Chrysler did the same things with Jeeps.

I’ve read several of the linked articles regarding equity firms and what they do.
I still don’t understand how they spend money to buy an ailing company then bankrupt it and run it into the ground only to profit somehow?
I know of two real situations personally of takeovers. One was a trucking company and another was a logging company. In both cases it ended badly for everyone except for the people who took it over.
The tactics they use seem very complex when they try to explain it and I can’t wrap my head around the mechanics of how it works. Economics was never my strong point.

But anyway, it probably doesn’t matter. I wasn’t planning on buying any Aqualung stuff now or in the future. If in the future my Connie’s can’t be serviced they will get a proper burial at sea and I guess my Scubapro’s will have to take over.

Yep. Complete garbage. You had to stop every hundred miles and tighten damn near every nut and bolt. Chrysler did the same things with Jeeps.
They also had to wipe the floors down hourly at the Harley Dealerships and/or use an oil pan at night because they leaked so much oil. They didn’t want customers to see it.

I’ve read several of the linked articles regarding equity firms and what they do.
I still don’t understand how they spend money to buy an ailing company then bankrupt it and run it into the ground only to profit somehow?
I know of two real situations personally of takeovers. One was a trucking company and another was a logging company. In both cases it ended badly for everyone except for the people who took it over.
The tactics they use seem very complex when they try to explain it and I can’t wrap my head around the mechanics of how it works. Economics was never my strong point.

But anyway, it probably doesn’t matter. I wasn’t planning on buying any Aqualung stuff now or in the future. If in the future my Connie’s can’t be serviced they will get a proper burial at sea and I guess my Scubapro’s will have to take over.
Watch pretty woman

Because the company's pieces are worth more separately than they are together. And this usually happens because the market has changed or the company is being run poorly. The company's assets are being underutilized and a PE firm sees that as an opportunity to make money. Like many things in economics, it looks bad from the popular point of view because the bad impacts are localized and apparent to everyone (storied company shuts down, layoffs, iconic buildings sold). The possible good impacts of getting assets to those who will use them better, lower prices across the entire economy for consumers, and jobs for others elsewhere as a result, are spread out widely and hard to see. In the Covid market craze, interest rates became so low and money became so easy that financing these deals became very, very easy and people who normally wouldn't be interested were looking for someplace to put their money and make higher returns (e.g., the storied group of anesthesiologists noted above).

... people that pass gas for a living ...

Back
Top Bottom