Aqualung i3 Dimension to be used for tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duy Nguyen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Guys,

I currently own the aqualung i3 bcd. I want to explore a little bit into technical diving style. I notice that the bcd for technical diving is back plate , its totally different than jacket style bcd for recreational purposes. Question is can I still train the skill with this bcd or Do I need to upgrade my equipment?

Thanks all for your inputs

It
Guys,

I currently own the aqualung i3 bcd. I want to explore a little bit into technical diving style. I notice that the bcd for technical diving is back plate , its totally different than jacket style bcd for recreational purposes. Question is can I still train the skill with this bcd or Do I need to upgrade my equipment?

Thanks all for your inputs
I think you'll find that training with tech oriented gear will better reinforce muscle memory for tech procedures and comfort as you may find things like dump and inflator locations, D-ring placement, etc. different. Using your current BCD wont prevent you from becoming a bit tech minded though. Most people tend to find that jacket style BCDs aren't really well suited to tech diving. I would recommend taking an Intro to Tech course to see if it's something you really want to pursue first.

I would specifically caution you against the i3 for Tech. That bcd has a design flaw that may prove fatal at deep depths.
There are two tubes that carry the plunger that opens the dump valves when the lever is depressed.
An owner folding the empty bcd for storage recently brought me a unit whose dump valve would not close (i.e., ZERO buoyancy).
Inspection revealed that one of the tubes had kinked after folding, which caused the long plunger to bind in the tube after the dump lever was depressed. The dump valve would not close, and Aqualung's use of a novel valve cover plate prevented it from being unscrewed and corrected underwater like most other designs.
I would recommend that you buy another bcd in any case, and as noted above, a backplate design for Tech.

Last edited:
It

I think you'll find that training with tech oriented gear will better reinforce muscle memory for tech procedures and comfort as you may find things like dump and inflator locations, D-ring placement, etc. different. Using your current BCD wont prevent you from becoming a bit tech minded though. Most people tend to find that jacket style BCDs aren't really well suited to tech diving. I would recommend taking an Intro to Tech course to see if it's something you really want to pursue first.

I would specifically caution you against the i3 for Tech. That bcd has a design flaw that may prove fatal at deep depths.
There are two tubes that carry the plunger that opens the dump valves when the lever is depressed.
An owner folding the empty bcd for storage recently brought me a unit whose dump valve would not close (i.e., ZERO buoyancy).
Inspection revealed that one of the tubes had linked after folding, which caused the long plunger to bind in the tube after the dump lever was depressed. The dump valve would not close, and Aqualung's use of a novel valve cover plate prevented it from being unscrewed and corrected underwater like most other designs.
I would recommend that you buy another bcd in any case, and as noted above, a backplate design for Tech.

Thanks guys. I dont plan to take this bcd for a tech diving trip at any time soon. I just want to see if I can train with this and get into this tech diving style. I plan to buy the rebreather in 10 years, thats why I do not want to spend any more money on scuba stuff. So I was just seeking ideas/suggestion if anyone had trained with this bcd for tech diving.

If you're interested in technical or rebreather diving, the cost of buying a backplate and wing will be a drop in the bucket. (You can use it for recreational diving too.)

I would simply sell the i3 and purchase a BPW. I only state that because you are saying you want to move in the tech direction. If you were not going in that direction, I would say rock on with your i3 and enjoy your diving.

I doubt that you will find any agency certified technical diving instructor who would accept you doing technical diving training in this bc or any piece of equipment that doesn't confirm to his agency's technical diving equipment requirements. I wouldn't!!

I used to dive the I3 and really enjoyed it. I switched to a BP/W and have not really missed it. As someone already said, compared to what you spend down the tech path it is not that expensive. The only real cost is the wings and you can get most of that back by selling the I3.

I have an i3 I haven't used for a few years. The biggest practical problem is going to be how are you going to attach doubles. Where do the bolts go? The next problem is that even if you make it work somehow I suspect the instructors you'd want to teach you how to do dangerous things safely won't let you use something jury rigged.

If the cost of buying an appropriate bcd is an issue now, just wait, it only gets worse from here. Consider whether your plans are compatible with your finances. You don't have to have the latest and greatest with the gold plating, but you'll need a lot of not inexpensive gear, and the helium bill can be a lot of money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom