Purpose of a backpad and other BP/W questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need more than 30-35lbs of lift for single tank diving. Even with a full Lp119 and wearing a drysuit, my 32lb singles wing was more than enough lift. It doesn't matter in reality what you weigh. The wing needs to float your gear. Many human beings are slightly to excessively positive. There are some who are negative but add a 3 mil suit and they will float.

A 60 pounds lift wing on a single tank would take taco to a new level, might even be a kolache.

If there is any diving in bare skin or a rash guard, at least for me, metal plates do bruise,

Of course, 60# is a doubles wing.

Great news is that 17, 20, 25# wings have become obsolete by the new slim 30 donuts. The new 30's are as slim and trim as the old 17's ever were. And just as smooth venting.

Wing people weren't showing us much respect stuffing the same size bladder inside all the different wings

and 30-35 wings may not cut it in the ocean when you're trying to keep your head above an untoward sea

Of course, 60# is a doubles wing.

Great news is that 17, 20, 25# wings have become obsolete by the new slim 30 donuts. The new 30's are as slim and trim as the old 17's ever were. And just as smooth venting.
Yeah, hmmm, no.

Those new Deep Six wings look real nice. Needs bigger drain grommets and let's just get rid of the dongle. Otherwise, really nice, about the nicest out there save for the NLA VDH wings. A 30# wing is just a great do everything and universal single tank wing size.

Isn't the VDH, pretty much similar to the Oxycheq and DGX?

Thanks everyone, no back padding and a 30lb bladder are my choices.

Your experience seems similar to mine: The first time I ever saw a BP/W (the original Dive Rite 55# horseshoe wing and Al backplate) and huge (or so they seemed to me) non-isolation manifolded doubles (PST LP 104'a) was during my Cavern and Basic Cave courses (NACD/NSS-CDS, in 1988). We students had to wear a Y-valved single cylinder for those courses, but our instructor wore his full cave gear and spent a bit of time chatting about his gear and why it is necessary.

Dive Rite continues to sell the 55# Classic Wing. This Wing is sized to accommodate double PST LP 104's (which are very negatively buoyant empty and have an 8" O.D.) and a couple of Al 80 stage/deco cylinders, in fresh water caves.

Your first tech cylinders will probably NOT be as massive as double 104's. I doubt you will need a 60# wing.

rx7diver
I have a decade old, almost new Dive Rite Classic 55# wing. Free to a loving home. Only 4-5 dives on it. I’m a wimpy warm, clear saltwater diver where there are colorful fishies now. Anyone interested, let me know and I will figure out shipping.

I have a decade old, almost new Dive Rite Classic 55# wing. Free to a loving home. Only 4-5 dives on it. I’m a wimpy warm, clear saltwater diver where there are colorful fishies now. Anyone interested, let me know and I will figure out shipping.

I’m interested. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom