Question Integrated weights for first bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

Nev77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

After 100+ dives with a jacket BCD, I recently tried a wing and was instantly converted!

So now (as we do!) I'm looking to buy my own bp/w setup. After a lot of reading, I've settled on the XDeep Zen with the regular harness, not the quick release version.

I was most recently diving in the Med with 4kg on a belt. I could possibly drop a bit more.

With the new rig, I was looking at the XDeep integrated pockets but a) they seem very expensive for a couple of pouches and b) I've read a lot of comments saying they're not great, not easy to access etc.

So I was thinking that if I still need 4kg, I could put 2 x 1kg in trim pockets and 2 x 1 on the harness. If I do that, is it as simple as buying a cheaper pouch and securing it on the waist band with a triglide? Or is there real value in splashing out for the xdeep integrated ones??

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

I'd like to ditch the belt, but I've been looking at so many options that I nearly just went for a pocket belt!

I use a pocket belt, as I use different tanks all the time, and it's easier to change weights out for differences. I also have individual pockets for trim on the BP. Last but not least, I've always worn a belt, its come in handy a few times, so it's a habit.

So what, are people buying these things to play a version of super hero cool underwater transfomers

and then adding weight

1696845583859.png

I would say the loose screws are rolling around on the floor with the marbles and soon whilst laughing

I won't be able to find any of them

I had integrated pockets in my first OMS wings/harness many years ago. They worked well and were comfortable, but when I replaced it with a newer model a few years later the pockets were terrible. It all depends on the design. When I moved to technical diving I only rarely needed to use weights with double steel tanks or rebreathers.

If you were wondering why there is so much emphasis on ditchable weights and finding the minimum weights you need in beginning dive classes, its because in the old days they didn't have BCs (e.g. in my first dive class in 1974). So you had to have enough weight to be able to get barely below the surface, and had to swim to depth. You had to be very fit and a strong swimmer. Once there the only way to stay there was to keep swimming. You wanted the least amount of weight possible so you could swim less to stay at depth and to make it easier to get back to the surface. If you became exhausted you could drop the weights and float up. These days with BC's it is all a lot simpler, and most casual divers are typically overweighted which usually works unless the BC springs a leak! I always think of BCs as elevators in the water.

Back
Top Bottom