Purchasing a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have six videos on plate and wings on our channel. Some other channels only have one. We did not think that just one covered the topic adequately.

@divezonescuba, I posted a link to your Yiou Tube series way back on Post #9 of this thread. I felt like it startEd off a little slowly on the first installment, but then provided it me with detailed information about the various aspects of setting up and using a BP/W. I recommend the series to anyone considering getting a back plate rig. Thanks for making it available.
🐸

If you travel, I suggest a light weight backplate, either aluminum or plastic. I have owned a bunch of different backplates and wings, mostly Dive-Rite ones, but my second rebreather came with a special backplate harness that I've used since 2012. As suggested above, how you rig a wing/backplate will change over time.

If you travel, I suggest a light weight backplate, either aluminum or plastic. I have owned a bunch of different backplates and wings, mostly Dive-Rite ones, but my second rebreather came with a special backplate harness that I've used since 2012. As suggested above, how you rig a wing/backplate will change over time.
Apparently aluminum back plates to save weight (especially for travel) have not proven very popular. I inquired of Dive Rite about their aluminum BP and the person I talked to said they worked fine, but had been discontinued because they didn’t sell enough. I guess I need to just accept that metal back plates are heavier than BCDs. My aluminum Dive Rite BP with a 30# OxyCheq wing is nearly two pounds heavier than my Sherwood BCD, and seems like more during doffing and donning.
🐸

I started am with Aluminum backplate to save weight for travel but ended buying a SS plate as it felt better and the extra weight was minimal.

I started out with a steel backplate and soon found a guy to trade for aluminum. My current backplate from VDH probably weighs about a pound and a half. The VDH plate, 23# HOG wing, and harness sans cambands weighs in at 5#. Carrying around the extra weight in my luggage didn't make sense to me. But I really don't think the weight of the plate is an important factor underwater.

quick comment - I regret buying a hybrid back-inflate jacket bcd when I first transitioned from a jacket bcd. Should have just went to the bpw. A great benefit of bpw is replacing components that wear out. Can’t do that with the hybrid or jacket. Good utility for busy science or commercial dives.

I purchased a Hollis ST aluminum backplate and I’m very happy with it. I thought I was going regret not getting a stainless steel unit but so far I have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom