Purchasing a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly, the two main pieces of advice are:
Set up the shoulder straps so you can touch the top of your plate with your fingertips over your shoulder and/or fit your fist between your chest and the shoulder strap. This will get you in the ballpark and you can make fine adjustments over a couple of days.
I don't wear a crotch strap, but I guess you need to tighten it up until you squeak.

And I am a little concerned with going there and it being the first time we use the BP/W when we get there, since we don't really have a way of testing them out where we live. Will this be an issue? Is there a chance that it will be something that we won't get accustomed to quickly? I have seen some people say that it takes time to get used to them, but will it be such a difference that it can ruin our dives? Thank you!
I wouldn't worry too much about the adjustment period/difficulty. It's not like you have a lot of dives in a jacket. Diving is diving (breathe, swim around, surface, repeat). I think you will really like the snug fit/stability, bias to correct trim and modularity (ability to change wing capacities) the BPW affords. The BPW is designed to make good trim easier, but that also requires using the correct amount of weight correctly distributed.

Getting the harness adjusted properly for you/your wife may take a little while and it's best to get help in so doing. Find someone (if you can) who has dived a BPW for a long time to work with you. It's not hard, but the world is full of good idea fairies (including on SB) who don't know what they're talking about. A dive shop might be able to help, but it depends on whether the person working with you dives one (ask/never assume). A few pool sessions are always a good idea.

The proliferation of BPW designs means a lot of extraneous crap has been added to the original minimalist design. Things like chest straps, quick release ("QR") plastic buckles, cinches, danglies, bungies on wings, long inflator hoses (e.g. >22") and other contributions from the diving peanut gallery are just that. Simple/streamlined is better and often cheaper. Getting a well designed simple rig out of the box (including, but in no way not limited to DGX, HOG) is the best way to go. They're much cheaper (like half) than the XDeep NX, BTW. Be suspicious of "features." Less is more.

There are some differences from a jacket that will take getting used to: 1) the position of air cell in a wing is designed to trim you face down instead of feet down/head up. This will be most noticeable at the surface when the wing is fully inflated. You will need to lean back on the wing to keep upright. That might take you a few dives to get used to. 2) The waist strap/crotch strap means use of a standard weight belt gets tricky (e.g. weight belt over or under the crotch strap). You're diving in warm water (in the Phils) so the weight belt/ditchable weight issue is less critical than diving with a thick wetsuit or dry suit. As such, it's possible you can do away without ditchable weight altogether and mount weight on the cam strap. Alternatively, distribute weight in different places/use a combination of ditchable/non-ditchable weight to maintain proper center of gravity/trim. For example, a few pounds ditchable on the waist strap and a few pounds non-ditchable on the cam strap can give proper fore/aft trim and ability to dump weight without becoming a Polaris missle. Bottom line you should be able to hover motionless in a horizontal position indefinitely without having to fin, scull or other. If you can't, weight needs to be added/subtracted/shifted until you can. Any problem will be you/your weighting, not the rig.

XDeep for sure makes very good side mount gear, but I don't like the NX harness or wing sizing: plastic QR buckles, dangling straps and the wing size advertized (42 lbs) is too large for warm water/3 mm suits/aluminum 80 tanks. The harness is an example of corrupting a good simple design (continuous 2" webbing) with unnecessary "features" for the recreational tech wanna be market at a premium price. The wing size is more than enough for steel tanks using a drysuit if you intend to do that, as well. The amount of lift should be enough to offset the wetsuit compression/weight of gas in the full tank plus give you the ability to float head above the water, and no more. It should be enough to float a full tank rig at the surface. There are disadvantages to using a wing too big or too small. More lift isn't necessarily better. My suggested wing lift capacities are:

Warm water/3mm wet suit/aluminum tanks 20-25 lbs
Cold water/7 mm wet/dry suit/steel tanks 30-35 lbs

For reference, diving the Phils/Indonesia I use 4 lbs on the upper cam strap (no ditchable weight/AL80/ aluminum plate/3 mm suit). In that rig an 18 lbs wing is ample lift. I recommend you use a bit more weight/lift capacity starting out, but not much.

Modularity means that any wing (brand/size) will fit on any BP so you can mix brands. If it doesn't, find a different design/brand. Avoid anything brand specific/limited. It's either modular or it isn't. Flexibility is key. You can go with smaller wings as you gain experience, but work up to that.

Sorry if this is more than you wanted, but you asked.

Have fun in the Phils.

Hello, my wife and I are fairly new to diving. AOW with 70+ dives. We have always rented our gear and always dove with jacket BCDs. But we are finally wanting to start buying gear so we don't have to rent gear, after our last trip cost us hundreds of dollars in rental costs. So after a bunch of research we feel like we want to go with BP/W and I think we will be going to get the XDeep NX Zen (still open to other recommendations), but my question is, we have never dove with BP/W and we are going to the Philippines in April to do a bunch of diving. And I am a little concerned with going there and it being the first time we use the BP/W when we get there, since we don't really have a way of testing them out where we live. Will this be an issue? Is there a chance that it will be something that we won't get accustomed to quickly? I have seen some people say that it takes time to get used to them, but will it be such a difference that it can ruin our dives? Thank you!
Here's another thought for you. Do you only dive when you travel? If so take a look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite, very minimal set up required. It has a soft backplate, so it's lite and packs well for travel, it has adjustable shoulder straps, and comes with weight pockets . Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite

Agreed Johnoly, but if you can start off with some idea what you are doing, it’s a lot easier to make informed and logical decisions. I felt like Rip van Winkle 🧙🏻‍♂️ waking up to see these strange new (to me) devices being used instead of my good old BCDs! In fact about a year ago I had to ask, on this board, “What the heck does BP/W mean?”

I bought mine as a complete unit, set up for somebody else. then I just started experimenting with it in a muddy lake near Gretna, VA. My first “real dives“ with it were in Florida last month. Like I said, I would like to have had a better idea what I was doing. As luck would have it I was OK in all but a couple of details.

My “worst mistake” was thinking the two cam bands could be tightened dry and would hold underwater. I knew better from using single bans on my BCDs, but I was concentrating on other things like why I had all those shiny rings everywhere and what I should put on them, and what difference I had to make in my salt water weight balance due the metal back plate.

Maybe if I’d had sense enough to watch other people use a BP/W, even on You Tube, before I actually jumped into the ocean wearing one…

🐸

Getting a BPW is like most homeowner DIY projects. Watch a bunch of internet videos till you feel comfortable then start setting it up. The only difference is there is not multiple trips to the home supply store. There is very little bleeding or swearing like some homeowner projects also.

I don't wear a crotch strap, but I guess you need to tighten it up until you squeak.
OK, never tried that with my 2 B/Wings, not using a crotch strap. :daydream:
So the waist strap is tight enough so the rig does not ride up, like when you are on the surface waiting for a boat to pick you up?
With the B/Wings I feel I need the crotch strap snug, not tight, just enough for comfort.
With the Hydros pro [simple harness, no weight pockets] I had a crotch strap for awhile, but found the rig did not ride up, and it is oh so easy.
I am going to dive one of my B/W rigs without a crotch strap as see what it feels like, an easy shallow dive.

Off topic, often the case, sorry.

How about just set it loose instead.

My unit only rode up on me one time, when I went up, too positive. Stay neutral or negative while finning up, and I haven't noticed it since.

Hello, my wife and I are fairly new to diving. AOW with 70+ dives. We have always rented our gear and always dove with jacket BCDs. But we are finally wanting to start buying gear so we don't have to rent gear, after our last trip cost us hundreds of dollars in rental costs. So after a bunch of research we feel like we want to go with BP/W and I think we will be going to get the XDeep NX Zen (still open to other recommendations), but my question is, we have never dove with BP/W and we are going to the Philippines in April to do a bunch of diving. And I am a little concerned with going there and it being the first time we use the BP/W when we get there, since we don't really have a way of testing them out where we live. Will this be an issue? Is there a chance that it will be something that we won't get accustomed to quickly? I have seen some people say that it takes time to get used to them, but will it be such a difference that it can ruin our dives? Thank you!
I felt perfectly comfortable transitioning to a bpw! I do think it would be helpful to get used to it in a pool first if you can. I generally like to test my new stuff in a pool or shallow water before taking it deep. But if you dont get to it before your trip I think you will be totally fine! Just do a weight check. May feel a bit different on the surface at first, but underwater it shouldnt be much of an adjustment.

As for the gear, i havent dove any xdeep but i have heard good things. Dont be intimidated by customizing one yourself too! There are many places and websites that have packages that allow you to customize what you want.

Id also recomend picking up some trim pockets (15-30$ usually) to get your trim right.

lastly depending on your what you dive in definitely look at an upgraded harness, harness pads, or a wetsuit top. Many harnesses dont come padded so they can chafe if you are just wearing a rashguard.

At the end of the day I think the most important thing is that you feel confident and comfortable on your dive!

Enjoy the Philippines!

Stay neutral or negative while finning up, and I haven't noticed it since.
That's not a problem, just not tried not using a crotch strap with a SS B/Wing [yet] .

I don’t feel like I’m really “in” my DIR harness (one continuous strap) unless I also have the crotch strap in place, albeit somewhat loosely. This may just be muscle memory of my final dives with my too large (I had lost over 50#) conventional BCD. I got very tired of having it all float up off of my shoulders. My dive mistress was entertained watching me though. 😁😆
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0111.jpeg
    MICR0111.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom