Aqualung i300C vs. Oceanic Veo 4.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know how good the battery life is on the i300c?

I'm looking into getting one as Oceanic is not very readily available in my location (and exorbitantly expensive). Bluetooth is a nice to have feature and based on my research there are some workarounds to getting the data into Subsurface without the $80 cable.

You may also want to look at the Geo 2 as it is on close out at Leisurepro for $269.95. I have the older i300 for backup and the Geo 2 for primary. The 4 button design is easier to maneuver and the DSAT algorithm is less conservative than the PZ+ that Aqualung uses.

The advantage of the i300c is going to be the Bluetooth for downloading but that, if I understand correctly, is only if you are planning on using the dive log program that is available through Aqualung. You won’t be able to use Bluetooth with other programs like Subsurface, you’ll need the download cable in that case.

Erik

Have you noticed much difference at all between NDLs on the Oceanic vs Aqualung? They run different algorithms correct?

Even if using someone else’s download software, I would think you are still going to want to connect to the manufacturer version periodically to check for firmware updates. I have also heard that the Bluetooth version will NOT connect to the OEM software via cable. I don’t know if the cable will still work on the Bluetooth models for other brands of software.

And as an FYI, Pelagic does not own any companies. They were owned by Oceanic and sold to Aqualung, before Huish bought Oceanic. So support is in the hands two different companies. Four if you include Sherwood and TUSA that also sell Pelagic products.

Even if using someone else’s download software, I would think you are still going to want to connect to the manufacturer version periodically to check for firmware updates. I have also heard that the Bluetooth version will NOT connect to the OEM software via cable. I don’t know if the cable will still work on the Bluetooth models for other brands of software.

And as an FYI, Pelagic does not own any companies. They were owned by Oceanic and sold to Aqualung, before Huish bought Oceanic. So support is in the hands two different companies. Four if you include Sherwood and TUSA that also sell Pelagic products.

Another reason that makes me lean towards just going with a non BT dive computer. Really sounds like so far the BT doesn't offer all that much. Maybe it will all be ironed out down the road. But sounds a lot easier to just use cables

@Jaeger62 , I have always kept the Geo on PZ+ so as not to run the risk of locking out the i300. According to the Oceanic manual, which you can find for free on their website (I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to post a link without it being the full web address), the differences in NDLs are anywhere from a couple of minutes to over an hour. Once you get to the 70 foot mark and beyond it's only a 5-2 minute difference, lessening the deeper you go. While that doesn't sound like much it does mean that you will have to start edging toward to surface sooner to keep within your NDL coming to the end of a deeper dive. I encountered this in GC this past January while diving with a group who mostly use ScubaPro computers and I was edging up sooner and more often.

Another reason that makes me lean towards just going with a non BT dive computer. Really sounds like so far the BT doesn't offer all that much. Maybe it will all be ironed out down the road. But sounds a lot easier to just use cables
I think I still have a "new in box" i300 cable version at the shop, full MFGR warranty. PM me if you want a price quoted.

Have you noticed much difference at all between NDLs on the Oceanic vs Aqualung? They run different algorithms correct?
Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung, is the OEM for Aqua Lung, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Tusa computers. The PPS transmitter is also used by Shearwater.

The Aqua Lung, and Tusa computers run only PZ+, a middle of the road, moderate, decompression algorithm. Genesis and Sherwood run only DSAT, a liberal decompression algorithm. Oceanic computers run both PZ+ and DSAT.

For the older, now discontinued, Aqua Lung and Oceanic models that require a cable for download, i300=Veo2 and i200=Geo2. The 300 and Veo are puck, the 200 and Geo are watch. For the newer, current models with Bluetooth, i300C=Veo4 and i200C=Geo4. The main differentiating factor is the ability of the Oceanic computer to run DSAT in addition to PZ+. You end up not saving much money on the discontinued models if you need to purchase a cable for download. It appears you pay about a $30 premium for Oceanic vs. Aqua Lung for DSAT on the current models. I would base my choice entirely on the decompression algorithm(s) you want.

Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung, is the OEM for Aqua Lung, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Tusa computers. The PPS transmitter is also used by Shearwater.

The Aqua Lung, and Tusa computers run only PZ+, a middle of the road, moderate, decompression algorithm. Genesis and Sherwood run only DSAT, a liberal decompression algorithm. Oceanic computers run both PZ+ and DSAT.

For the older, now discontinued, Aqua Lung and Oceanic models that require a cable for download, i300=Veo2 and i200=Geo2. The 300 and Veo are puck, the 200 and Geo are watch. For the newer, current models with Bluetooth, i300C=Veo4 and i200C=Geo4. The main differentiating factor is the ability of the Oceanic computer to run DSAT in addition to PZ+. You end up not saving much money on the discontinued models if you need to purchase a cable for download. It appears you pay about a $30 premium for Oceanic vs. Aqua Lung for DSAT on the current models. I would base my choice entirely on the decompression algorithm(s) you want.

I guess my point is that it seems that so far, Bluetooth limits you to what programs you are able to dowload dives to. Seems like just using a cable is better than Bluetooth so far, until you're able to download to every app/program via Bluetooth. So having to pay for a cable maybe really isn't a downside.

I myself just bought a used Oceanic VT 4.0 with cable off the classifieds. Hoping to eventually buy an OCi and use the VT 4.0 as a backup.

I guess my point is that it seems that so far, Bluetooth limits you to what programs you are able to dowload dives to. Seems like just using a cable is better than Bluetooth so far, until you're able to download to every app/program via Bluetooth. So having to pay for a cable maybe really isn't a downside.

I myself just bought a used Oceanic VT 4.0 with cable off the classifieds. Hoping to eventually buy an OCi and use the VT 4.0 as a backup.
I have been diving a VT3 for almost 10 years, 1344 dives, 1417 hours, all downloaded with the cable that came with the unit. My son dives a VT4, loves it. Other than the watch form factor, what does an OCi give you the VT4 does not?

Back
Top Bottom