Aqualung Leg3nd MBS - good or bad? vs Elite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have a new Legend MBS - I had the MBS cranked to MAX on 2 dives - 105 feet and 80 feet max depths. On both dives, with every inhalation I felt like the reg was pushing air down my throat on the inhale and I burned through my tanks much faster. Anybody else seen this? I'm going to start experimenting with the MBS setting on my next dive.

Bingo!
Venturi assist in action, in a not helpful way.
A perfect example of why the functions should be separated.

By cranked to the max, you mean fully unscrewed counterclockwise?

It actually has a knob that says Min and Max with Max being the "easier breathing" option. (see below)

AquaLung-Leg3nd-MBS.jpg

The Dive/Pre-dive lever is almost like an On and Off switch. In the Pre-dive position the Venturi action is reduced making the regulator less likely to free flow and it will be harder to breath because the Venturi assist is reduced. There really is no reason to have the lever at any position other than Min (pre-dive) or Max (Dive) depending upon need.

The adjustment knob found on some higher end regulators controls the cracking effort, not the Venturi. This is an incremental adjustment from higher to lower. Cracking force is the (equivalent) amount of inches of water column need to initiate flow, opening the second stage valve. Typically around 1.0 inch or slightly less on a regulator without the knob but on an adjustable second stage it may be adjustable over a range of .7 to 1.4, give or take a little.

The MBS combines both functions in a clever way and it works as advertised. Just have to understand what is being adjusted when. Save yourself some money and just purchase the plain Legend that only has the Venturi lever. They are all rated Superior on the ANSTI machine results and most sport divers will never need anywhere near the maximum performance these regulators are capable of or know the difference in use.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom