Aqualung legend lux free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atabaksh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi people, I have bought a new aqualung legend lux reg and it is my first regulator. I am also a new diver. Now my question is , when on the surface I press the purge button my second stage starts free flowing .When I put my finger on the mouth piece it stops, under the water same happens when the mouth piece is faced up and I stop the free flow by facing it down. As I have searched in the forums I think this type of free flow is normal for a properly working regulator, right? My concern is that, there is a nob on the regulator which the manual says we should turn it down when the mouth piece is out of the mouth. I turn it down completely but when I again face the second stage mouth piece up in the water it free flows again but with much less flow rate , much lower. So my other question is that , should turning down the nob completely prevent freeflow or it is normal to have free flow with less intensity.

It's normal and is functioning as it should. When you did your course they should have covered this, assuming they did, you may remember them saying hold regulator with mouth piece down when reg is not in your mouth as this will prevent free flow. Turning the adjuster all the way in when reg is placed in water mouthpiece facing up it may well still free flow, how much depends how on the edge the reg has been tuned. Either way it's nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new reg, it's a good one.

correction to the above statement, in a properly adjusted regulator, regardless of whether the venturi lever is in dive or predive, and regardless of where the adjustment knob is, if you set the regulator in the water while it is cleared with the mouthpiece up it WILL freeflow, not might, not should, it WILL freeflow. It is basic physics, negative pressure of the air over the diaphragm causes the lever to get pushed.

Now, at the surface, pressing the purge button may or may not cause the regulator to freeflow, that is specific to each second stage design based on how far the purge button is allowed to go combined with what the cracking pressure is set to. You can make the Hog Classic stages breathe perfectly with a nonfunctioning purge button, it's possible, my octo is set like that. Apeks I think can as well, I'm not familiar with this specific regulator, but as long as it is stopping when it goes mouthpiece down or if you put a finger over it, then it's nothing to be worried about. It's just set really light which most people like.

correction to the above statement, in a properly adjusted regulator, regardless of whether the venturi lever is in dive or predive, and regardless of where the adjustment knob is, if you set the regulator in the water while it is cleared with the mouthpiece up it WILL freeflow, not might, not should, it WILL freeflow. It is basic physics, negative pressure of the air over the diaphragm causes the lever to get pushed.

Now, at the surface, pressing the purge button may or may not cause the regulator to freeflow, that is specific to each second stage design based on how far the purge button is allowed to go combined with what the cracking pressure is set to. You can make the Hog Classic stages breathe perfectly with a nonfunctioning purge button, it's possible, my octo is set like that. Apeks I think can as well, I'm not familiar with this specific regulator, but as long as it is stopping when it goes mouthpiece down or if you put a finger over it, then it's nothing to be worried about. It's just set really light which most people like.

Thank you for your correction.

no worries, was more of a expansion than a correction, but if it doesn't freeflow under that circumstance the cracking pressure is going to be pretty high and there is something else wrong with the regulator.

Only solution for the OP if he doesn't like that is to go to side exhausts :-D

Cheers, I learnt something new. I thought that was the case but as was not 100% sure didn't want to make a definitive statement. By the way I enjoy reading your posts you certainly know a lot.

It sounds like you have a very high performance, well tuned regulator. You should thank your dealer for such a fine product. If it ever gets to where covering the mouthpiece does not stop it, take it back for an adjustment.

It sounds like you have a very high performance, well tuned regulator. You should thank your dealer for such a fine product. If it ever gets to where covering the mouthpiece does not stop it, take it back for an adjustment.

Another member who knows what he's talking about.

So it's settled then, there is nothing for the OP to worry about. Hopefully he comes back and reads the replies.

Another member who knows what he's talking about.

So it's settled then, there is nothing for the OP to worry about. Hopefully he comes back and reads the replies.

Thanks my friends, it is great to get help from you :). When I first used my regulator under water it was like breathing the fresh air of the mountains :wink:. So hearing that it works ok make me feel better.

A little to add to the above, if you need/want to keep the second stage (or octo) out of your mouth while in the water and prevent these kinds of freeflows, turn it mouthpiece down, stop any free flow then SLOWLY turn it so it slowly fills with water. Once it is full of water it will not free flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom