Aqualung Legend LX w/ Sherwood Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandrs19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After much research, I have finally decided to get the Aqualung Legend LX as my first regulator purchase

I have a Sherwood Standard Octo (Sherwood Standard Octopus, Yellow) that I can use.

Is there any reason that the Sherwood Octo can't or shouldn't be used? Is there any problem with going "cross-brand"?

Thanks.

The only problem with going cross brand is that it may complicate repair/servicing, unless the dive shops you do business with can handle both brands.

The only problem with going cross brand is that it may complicate repair/servicing, unless the dive shops you do business with can handle both brands.

That's not a problem. My LDS carries and services both brands.

I agree, it may need a minor tweaking if the original IP it was adjusted too was a good bit different but otherwise it's fine. Odds are it will not need anything done to it.

I have used Sherwood Standard octos with Aqualung (also Apeks, Sherwood, Zeagle and Oceanic) regs for many years. Why? Because I have 5, and enough service parts for them to last at least another 50 years.

...Is there any reason that the Sherwood Octo can't or shouldn't be used? Is there any problem with going "cross-brand"?

Thanks.

Actually, yes.

As you have probably already researched, the legend regulator features an overbalanced 1st stage. Basically, this means that the 1st stage output pressure is designed to increase with depth...
A pneumatically balanced second stage will compensate for this increased pressure, a non balanced 2nd stage will not- The danger with using a non-balanced second stage is a potential freeflow from, in this case, your Sherwood octo...You may only encounter this event on a deeper dive, but the fact remains...Check out the website

Legend Octopus

Actually, yes.

As you have probably already researched, the legend regulator features an overbalanced 1st stage. Basically, this means that the 1st stage output pressure is designed to increase with depth...
A pneumatically balanced second stage will compensate for this increased pressure, a non balanced 2nd stage will not- The danger with using a non-balanced second stage is a potential freeflow from, in this case, your Sherwood octo...You may only encounter this event on a deeper dive, but the fact remains...Check out the website

Legend Octopus

Overbalanced is more sales hype than anything else, which by the way to be accurate, the reg is not "overbalanced", it is actually over depth compensated. All first stages increase the IP to compensate for increasing ambient pressure or in other words all first stages are depth compensated. The "overbalanced" ones increase IP slightly more than 1psi for every 1 psi of ambient pressure increase. The actual amount of "over balancing" (calculated based on surface area of the diaphragms) is in the 15 psi range at 100 ft. True enough a finely tuned unbalanced second stage will tend to freeflow gently with that much increase in IP but a reasonably tuned octo will not and if your tech can't handle that you need to find a new tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom