aqualung Surface Observation Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone bought aqualung's BC integrated safety sausage? they call it the Surface Observation Signal. What do you think of it?

Thanks,

Pass. I hooked it up and it IS a cool idea, but there is 1 big flaw: You have to have the BC fully inflated for it to work. That's going to want to push you forward. Personally, I'd like to float on my back if I hav a long wait ahead of me.

You also have to take the bc off to roll it back up and store it.

Hallmac

I appreciate the info... Norcal: so do you have to overinflate the bladder until the overflow valve opens to inflate the thing? Hmm, yeah, that's not so hot. Considering that when my LDS guy quoted the price for it, he pointed out that there was a wide variety of them out there for less money....:rolleyes:

Must concentrate on getting essential stuff only. Must resist temptation to buy crap...:whack:

I received one as a gift for Christmas. I have tried it once, and it is a little hard to reach back there with my drysuit set up on the surface. That said, I think it is a good thing to have. A safety sausage in your pocket might be a less expensive alternative, but this is ready to go, and you don't have to futz with anything in rolling seas. As far as having to take the bc off to roll it up and store it, that would be the least of my worries if I ever have to really use it...

I bought one for my Balance.... wish I would have used my money for a different gadget. Like norcaldiver said, you have to have the BC fully inflated for it to work. It's very exhausting to keep your face out of the water with a back inflation BC. I think it would be fine for a jacket style though.

Looked at one the other day just out of curiosity at LDS. Was on the new display.
I would not in my opinion reccommend it.

1. You can't wave it.
2. BC has to be fully faily well inflated.
3. Can't send to surface prior to your arrival.
4. Limited to certain valve positons and mfgrs.

Back
Top Bottom