Aqualung vs Scubapro vs Poseidon vs Sherwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chungaw

Registered
Reaction score
after being a spectator on this board for some time now, I've finally decided to ask a question. I'm looking into getting my first regulator. I plan on getting a high end regulator that will take me anywhere I want to go underwater. Looking into moving towards technical diving.

before people say, "this topic has been done to death," or "do a search under ..."- I have done that and no this particular topic hasn't been done to death.

most of the threads compare aqualung vs scubapro vs apeks or the compare sherwood, zeagle, mares, oceanic, etc.

What I want to know is, i've read reviews about the sherwoods and poseidon regulators and reviews about aqualung, scubapro, apeks regulators, but how do diverite, sherwood and poseidon stack up against aqualung, scubapro, or apeks regulators? (breathability, reliablity, servicablity, etc).

When I first started diving I bought an Apeks ATX50 reg set. I've changed out just about every other piece of that first set of gear, but I've never seen any need to upgrade my regs. They breathe great in every position and at any depth I've taken them to. Nice and dry. Now, my regular dive buddy bought a set of Poseidon Jetstream regs. We've traded off now and then, just to get a feel for each others gear, and I can't stand the way his Poseidons breathe. They can pump a large volume of air, enough to blow the back of your head off, but they seem hard to control. I can't seem to get a smooth, dry breath out of them. They're also a pain in the butt to get serviced. There used to be only one place in our area that would work on them. Now, thankfully, a second LDS has been certified to maintain Poseidon gear. I spoke to one of the technicians who says that the Poseidon designs are unnecessarily complicated and difficult to work on. Based on my buddy's experience, it does seem like it’s hard to get the air flow dialed in just right. He loves them, though. I'll keep my Apeks.

When I first started diving I bought an Apeks ATX50 reg set. I've changed out just about every other piece of that first set of gear, but I've never seen any need to upgrade my regs. They breathe great in every position and at any depth I've taken them to. Nice and dry. Now, my regular dive buddy bought a set of Poseidon Jetstream regs. We've traded off now and then, just to get a feel for each others gear, and I can't stand the way his Poseidons breathe. They can pump a large volume of air, enough to blow the back of your head off, but they seem hard to control. I can't seem to get a smooth, dry breath out of them. They're also a pain in the butt to get serviced. There used to be only one place in our area that would work on them. Now, thankfully, a second LDS has been certified to maintain Poseidon gear. I spoke to one of the technicians who says that the Poseidon designs are unnecessarily complicated and difficult to work on. Based on my buddy's experience, it does seem like itÃÔ hard to get the air flow dialed in just right. He loves them, though. I'll keep my Apeks.

I have heard the same things about the Poseidons. And if you push the purge while it is your mouth it will almost blast out of your mouth...wanna see that one.
Good Luck,
U/O

I've got Dive Rite Hurricane Regs. They breath great and are cold water ready, I've had them down to 39f so far. I like the 2 years between service to get the free parts for life, I'll just mail them back to Ed at Cave Adventurers to get them serviced.

What I want to know is, i've read reviews about the sherwoods and poseidon regulators and reviews about aqualung, scubapro, apeks regulators, but how do diverite, sherwood and poseidon stack up against aqualung, scubapro, or apeks regulators? (breathability, reliablity, servicablity, etc).

I do think perhaps its not an easy comparison as these regs are not the same animals.

Certainly, Sherwood is really (boxing wise) a reliable but "light weight" recreational reg hardly suitable for serious deep or technical diving, and Poseidon is a far more "Heavy duty" technical / commercial type reg, good for almost anything you could throw at it.

I exclude the Sherwood SR-1 here as its so new and nobody really has a long term opinion on it.

Aqualung, Apeks and Scuba pro could box in the same ring making solid regs which in addition to been primarily aimed at the recreational market could (and do) easily double up as serious technical / deep diving regulators.

I am not that familiar with Diverite regs but they are talked up as serious contenders in the deep / technical areas.

So it would be unfair to stack them up against each other in my opinion, for fun leisure diving Sherwood has an enviable reputation,Aqualung ,Apeks and Scuba Pro are very similar and theres not too much to choose between them on the recreational only field, for more serious work I would aim at the Apeks but thats just my personal view, any of them will be fine.

Poseidon is in a legue of is own, its tough, dependable and has one of the best reputations as a commercial heavy duty used regulator, they are also finicky to set and tune and have a powerfull air flow (not to everyones liking) - although it used extensively in the receational field, I think its serious overkill and its difficult servicing habits make it an irritation to the average diver.

thanks widget, that has been one of the most helpful posts for this topic that I've read. I've heard wonderful things about their favourite regulators from peope, but the boxing comparison really helped.

I agree that this kind of decision is too personal.
In my case I am using a Scubapro MK25/S600 regulator. It is working perfectly for me and I can highlight:

1- air flow
2- weight (is very light)
3- size (it is not that big)

I have this configuration for 6 months and I am extremelly glad. In fact I will buy this configuration to my daughter.

You should also consider the price in your comparisons.

Regards

Just to toss this in, I have Apeks xtx50's and have dove with the Dive-rite Hurricane. They are very similar as far as ease of breathing. However, I am convinced that the Apeks breath drier, but this could be just in my head since I bought the Apeks and borrowed the Dive-Rite. I like to thing I own the better of the two. :)

In my case I am using a Scubapro MK25/S600 regulator. It is working perfectly for me
I have been using several regs of this combination for several years. I dive on trimix to 60m, Friday I will be diving to 35m in freshwater with temps of 6c, and sea diving on Sunday in the English Channel. Nuff said really :D

You should also consider the price in your comparisons.

you're absolutely right that it is a personal preference thing, the main problem for me is that i know what my instructors dive with and I know what the LDS has told me, but i'm nerdly enough to want to develop my own opinion based on a broader range advice/knowledge/experience than just one LDS and one location.

I know that most new people tend to get what their local LDS or instructor has used. Unfortunately for me, I've moved to a completely new location since i first learned to dive and have no connection with any of the LDS' around here. They each carry different lines and the service at each store is very good. All of them talk about the brand they carry as being the best in their opinion, which is of course why they carry the brand.

Trying to learn more about the mechanics of the actual regulator, talking to regulator techs, finding out about the target market of the products and what other people dive with. It just seems that the most vocal people tend to be aqualung, scubapro, apeks people. And, of course, they love their chosen regulator. But I know poseidon people who love their poseidons, and mares or oceanic people who are equally happy with their product who don't understand why people would spend the extra money.

being a nerdly newbie geeky diver is kind of a pain...:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom