Aqualung's stance on e commerce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis:
such as was the case with the Legend LX DVT regulator.....in the grey market within 4 days after the first regulator shipments.

While I'm sure that no one will ever be able to get Aqualung to admit they sell direct, the above example is a perfect example of it.

Leisure Pro had the Legend LX ACD (ACD is same as DVT) in stock before the normal local dive shops had them. Now, how would that happen if it wasn't a direct shipment.

This right here shows that Leisure Pro is more important to Aqualung than thier own dealers.

awap:
Sounds like that could restrict an individual from selling their used reg. :confused:

Your not supposed to sell your used regs. You throw them in the trash and buy new ones.

Dear Aqualung, (because I know you are reading this thread.)

Here where I live, we have 3 "local dive shops". Well, actually about 2.1, instead of three. I say one is ".1" because it's only open 10% of the time.

Shop #1 is not an Aqualung dealer (the 10% open store)
Shop #2 is an Aqualung dealer and sells at full list price.
Shop #3 used to be an Aqualung dealer and sold at killer discount prices until Aqualung squashed their dealership on the product.

Now I don't have anything against any of these shops. They are all good shops.

But why should I pay full list price when another shop sells at 30% (average) cheaper for the same service?

Now... Here's the kicker. Shop #2 that is an Aqualung dealer isn't what you'd call a "Full Stocking Dealer". So if I want to buy an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme for example, they have to order it. Now... lets add another item to that. They charge a 20% special order fee for items they don't stock. I understand this because they have to do a special order and shipping, but why should I pay 20% more over "list price" for something. That runs the $610 base price up to $732 bucks (with the 20% special order fee). (not including tax).

I can order it myself and buy the same regulator on Leisure Pro for for $395.
Now.... $395 or $732 ? Which would you choose? (no sales tax on LP either.

Chances are I wouldn't order it from Leisure Pro regardless but go to LDS #3 which is local and will match anyone elses prices. Too bad that you squashed their Aqualung dealership. So I'll just have to spend my money on some other brand.

Your loss, not mine. I think many here will agree. (Scubaboard is a powerfull force. And it's not going away either.....).

Sincerely, someone who used to buy Aqualung products.

mike_s:

Yes but just look at all the extra service you get for the extra $337. They are making you a commited diver and creating other commited divers for you to be friends with.
Your loss, not mine. I think many here will agree. (Scubaboard is a powerfull force. And it's not going away either.....).

Haven't you been paying attention? Aqualung and the shops don't need you...it's you who needs them.

It is where we truly have the opportunity to create committed divers, as opposed to teaching people to dive. A committed diver is someone who becomes a competent diver, bonds to diving’s “social scene,” buys equipment, takes additional training and goes diving.

So, because I bought my gear on-line, I am not a committed or competent diver? I clearly haven't bonded to divings social scene.

It seems I also don't buy equipment, which means my n regs, 2 pairs of fins, 2 sets of wetsuits, a back inflate BCD AND a BP/w, and all the other goodies I own magically appeared from a higher astral plane.

Oh... hang on... *Columbo moment* If I buy my dive gear on-line.. it means I don't buy dive gear... please, can you explain this to me? I'm not so smart, I don't understand... I need it layed out clearly...

And the 50 odd dives I did last year, clearly, they are not real. I faked them all. Yes, even the shark photos...

Z...

MikeFerrara:
Yes but just look at all the extra service you get for the extra $337. They are making you a commited diver and creating other commited divers for you to be friends with.

Careful Mike. There are folks who are dead serious when they say crap like that.

AWAP,

Have you even read the Toothfairy's stance on Internet sales??? My God man, chaos will ensue!

I'm in the market for a fairly high-end reg and new computer. I walked into the "big" shop in my area who happens to be an AL dealer. Not only do they charge full price, but they also love to tell you how inferior all other (non-AL) products are. I left the shop completely disgusted and turned off from buying any AL product.

I've decided to drive a little bit further (60 miles) and purchase a Zeagle Flathead VI reg & Envoy octo from a shop that sells at prices competitve with internet retailers. I've decided to make my computer purchase there as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Aqualung and their "dedicated" dive shops are incredibly naive if they think internet sales and more progressive pricing policies from competitors won't eventually cut into their sales.

mike_s:
Dear Aqualung, (because I know you are reading this thread.)

Here where I live, we have 3 "local dive shops". Well, actually about 2.1, instead of three. I say one is ".1" because it's only open 10% of the time.

Shop #1 is not an Aqualung dealer (the 10% open store)
Shop #2 is an Aqualung dealer and sells at full list price.
Shop #3 used to be an Aqualung dealer and sold at killer discount prices until Aqualung squashed their dealership on the product.

Now I don't have anything against any of these shops. They are all good shops.

But why should I pay full list price when another shop sells at 30% (average) cheaper for the same service?

Now... Here's the kicker. Shop #2 that is an Aqualung dealer isn't what you'd call a "Full Stocking Dealer". So if I want to buy an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme for example, they have to order it. Now... lets add another item to that. They charge a 20% special order fee for items they don't stock. I understand this because they have to do a special order and shipping, but why should I pay 20% more over "list price" for something. That runs the $610 base price up to $732 bucks (with the 20% special order fee). (not including tax).

Chances are I wouldn't order it from Leisure Pro regardless but go to LDS #3 which is local and will match anyone elses prices. Too bad that you squashed their Aqualung dealership. So I'll just have to spend my money on some other brand.

Charging 20% above msrp is just totally wrong on LDS part..Aqualung will allow 10% discount at point of sale,MAP is usually msrp..What some creative LDS may do is package accessories (regulator bag/light etc)with the Aqualung product that they can charge much less for or include at n/c to sweeten the deal thereby getting desired product at lower cost and still stay within dealer agreements..thats what I do..this is what may keep a customer feel appreciated and continue to use a LDS . Aqualung,and others ,see that for the activity to have a chance to continue and possibly grow is to have LDS exist.That is where the majority of people go to learn to dive,its a starting point..Making it inconvient to learn by not having a storefront and in their neighbor hood would drive potential divers to take up golf/tennis/mountainbiking etc-activities that are easy to get into..Those activities are the real competition to diving..

PhilEllis:
My dad's closest friend was a gigantic downtown merchant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. When the first mall came to town, my dad asked him if he had considered moving. He said, "he** NO! A mall will never replace downtown"

Enough said.
Phil Ellis

And unfortunately your Dad's friend was wrong. There are real downsides to people shopping price and nothing but price. The loss of our "downtowns" and the charachter of small town America is first among them. I myself will take a nice downtown over Walmart any day of the week.

Y'all are never going to be able to get EAN fills over the internet and once all the LDS's are gone you'll have to drop off your tanks at the county fill station and wait 2 weeks for them to be filled at $25 a pop. I myself would rather pay $10 more for the pair of fins I buy every 5 years and get while I wait fills 2 times a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom