Aquarena low flow conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
HI everyone,

If it has been a while since you volunteered for work at Aquarena in the diving for SCience Program.

Check out the underwater camera to see the low visibility in connection with the impacts of low flow, no rain, and drought affecting Central Texas.

Life Aquatic Underwater Web Cam

This is where you can peak at the conditions at deep hole with the underwater camera look of what the fish are seeing.

There are new videos to be seen. Some shot at Lake Travis on the page also.

Keeping you posted.

Reminder if you have a water related video or picture you would like to post on the website, send it to me at shawn.o'shea@foxtv.com. Anything about the conservation, preservation, restoration or recreational aspects of water in Central Texas.

I look forward to you inputs and feedback.

Ethan Chappel has a blog on the page where he is interacting and answering questions specific to Aquareana.

My buddy and I have tentative plans to go do Aquarena on Labour Day weekend. I'll get with Erica closer to...

If you didn't see Driftwood's post, they are limiting science divers to Arch Site until the flow comes back up. Today the cfs flow was in the mid 80s. The coonstail pretty much died off and I guess they don't need us to pull weeds. Plus any muck stirred up just hangs there. It looks really different.

Edwards Aquifer Authority – Water Levels & Springflow Rates, San Marcos

Talking with Ron Thursday a week ago, there will be major changes when we hit 75cfs. What those changes are have not been determined yet. John and me will be diving there on Thursday and keep you updated.

yes, please do!!

If you didn't see Driftwood's post, they are limiting science divers to Arch Site until the flow comes back up. Today the cfs flow was in the mid 80s. The coonstail pretty much died off and I guess they don't need us to pull weeds. Plus any muck stirred up just hangs there. It looks really different.

Edwards Aquifer Authority – Water Levels & Springflow Rates, San Marcos

From what I gathered from Ethan, there is a bacteria that really likes coonstail and is seasonal. Well this is the season and the bug seems to like low flow conditions. The only healthy coonstail that I saw was very close to the springs. All the dive sites in Spring Lake are much more open now and it does seem like you are diving a completely different lake. I am seeing structures and contours that I have never seen before. Ron also mentioned that it was the drought in '96 that allowed them to knock the hydrilla out of the lake. So lets take these bad times and see what good we can make happen.

Shawn, thanks for the thread and information. :)

Dove there yesterday and today. very little flow. got some rain yesterday for about 30 min. lot of silt

Did you notice that brown ugly algae growing on everything on the bottom?

Who knows the scientific name for this stuff?

:no: brown algae :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom