Aquarium Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longshotgene

Registered
Reaction score
I have finished my openwater cert., and am interested in diving in a local aquarium. I would be interested in volunteering for the aquarium if it meant I could dive with the animals. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I should approach the aquarium? Are there any generic legal papers I could present to show I would not hold them accountable for my death or an accident. I essentially would dive at my own risk? Is this even possible or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

I believe most of the time, its on a volunteer basis and most require a lot of time being committed to the volunteer work. Also, most will probably require a decent amount of experience and maybe even advanced certs. I've read that some will only allow you in a specific tank untill you have "proven" yourself.

If you can devote several hours every week to volunteering, I'd say go for it. I did the GA aquarium a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I wasn't volunteering but if I lived in ATL, i'd try to be there everyday.

Most aquariums today have diving safety programs based on those outlined by the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS). In most cases an O/W cert will not get you in though it may qualify you to participate the their training program. Being a volunteer is not really what you think it is and does not absolve the institution of either it's responsibilities or liabilities.

Depending on the aquarium, there are often prerequisites of which to be aware. For example:

Minimum non-diving volunteer hours to be met before consideration, then:
-Swim and dive tests
-Physical
-Minimum non-diving and diving commitments for a given period of time

Etc. It can take quite a while to get from the *idea* of wanting to volunteer dive, to actually doing it! I would imagine most aquariums have the process/requirements well-documented.

As katepnatl said they will have a procedure and requirement set and you need to pay your dues for the glory of diving with the critters. Approach the facility in question and learn what they require and go from there. It may help set some stepping stone goals.

Pete

Until recently I was a volunteer diver at our local aquarium for several years. We had to commit to 1 day every 2 weeks.
It was a lot of fun at first until they made a bunch of changes, that made it seem like more of a job than volunteer work.
What I would suggest is going on your aquariums web site, and looking into volunteering. Don't expect to find a full time job.

I'm a volunteer diver at the Georgia Aquarium. They have minimum requirements as mentioned abouve as well as swim test and they also require a physical by their doctors. If one was able they could dive everyday. Those of us with jobs have to schedule far in advance to pick up shifts on the weekend. I am able to dive with 4 whale sharks, 4 mantas, hammerheads one day then belugas the next. I love it.

From what I've seen most aquariums seem to have a minimum time requirement and a minimum training requirement. Both the aquariums I've checked into volunteering at require AOW minimum with at least 30 dives as well.

The time commitments vary from 1 day a week to 1 day every 2 weeks to 1 day a month... depends. Talk to your local aquarium's "volunteer coordinator" and go from there.

The Virginia Aquarium Requirements:
Advanced Open Water
18 years of age
minimum of 25 open water dives
medical physical
1st Aid-CPR certified
background check
inpool tryout

Once on the team, divers have a minimum number of volunteer hours to fulfill.

We have tyouts 3 times a year. Our next tryout dates are June 4-5.

The aquarium here in New Orleans has the information for divers interested in volunteering on their website. I would love to do it but I just don't have the time in my schedule to commit to all the requirements, including the non-diving time I would have to spend there. It's too bad because it's a great aquarium and I think would be an awesome experience - both the diving and non-diving. Maybe someday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom