Aquarium in Berlin Explodes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bothers me that "glass" is constantly referred to, here and elsewhere. The aquarium was made of plexiglass....plastic.
When I saw the place, a decade ago, the docents or guides and even some of the literature colloquially referred to the structure as "Glas" . . .

When I saw the place, a decade ago, the docents or guides and even some of the literature colloquially referred to the structure as "Glas" . . .
That's because it is "Plexiglas" which is a trade name/brand that become synonymous for this material, also referred to as acrylic or acrylic glass. Or, for the connoisseur PMMA.

That's because it is "Plexiglas" which is a trade name/brand that become synonymous for this material, also referred to as acrylic or acrylic glass. Or, for the connoisseur PMMA.
Uncapitalized, plexiglass is a generic term.

Let's see...a 50 ft (15 m) column of water. About 1.5 ATM (bar) over ambient, or 14.7 * 1.5 = 22 psi (1.55 kg/cm2). That's a lot of pressure. If they had just engineered in a little extra margin, who knows? Still, as stated, not the world's best idea.

I meant for us, but sure. Could also put that in quantity since corrals grow and die. They may also not be fully documented with said growth and death.
I noticed in some before video there were artificial corals constructed on the columns inside the tank for aesthetics.

That's a lot of pressure. If they had just engineered in a little extra margin, who knows?
Should have used transparent aloominum

1671744597390.png

Wonder if they used cardboard, cardboard derivatives, paper, string, or cellotape.

Back
Top Bottom