Are 100cu/ft AL tanks common in rental shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to thank everyone for the advice.
I will reach out to the dive shops we are thinking of going with and see if they offer a larger volume tank for me to use. I can handle the extra size/ weight (ex-division I football player, I'm big with an athletic build)... the weight and size shouldn't be an issue for me. If they have a larger tank it's a bonus, if they don't then I'll dive with an AL80.

As far as thinking about having my wife dive with a smaller tank, I like the idea of having her use an AL80 for now at least. Maybe I'll tank to a dive operator when we're in Bonaire (shallow shore dives). Currently she can dive with the larger tanks, more volume = more safety IMO.

With my air use, I'll try some of the tips suggested. I know I use my arms a lot. Also, looking back on my open water training (my only diving experience, outside of two 'discover scuba dives') our instructor had me go in the water first, so I was using more air compared to our group. This was especially true on the last dive we did, it was a group of 5 people, and I was on the descent rope for maybe 10 minutes while I waited for the entire group to get in the water and start going down.

I'm a bit surprised there is so much confusion in this discussion, but maybe that is because the concept of "gas matching" is taught at the technical level, and then sometimes forgotten. The point is that it not so much about how much YOU need that determines your tank size, it is about how much gas your BUDDY needs that determines your tank size. If he/she is a heavy breather and may run out before you do, then you need ample supplies for both you and for the heavy breather. That may well imply that the tank of the light breather is larger than that of the heavy breather, but certainly not smaller.

Currently she can dive with the larger tanks, more volume = more safety IMO.

With my air use, I'll try some of the tips suggested. I know I use my arms a lot.

More gas does not equal more safety. Better management of the gas you have equals more safety. If you want to nit-pick, (and who doesn't on this forum) more gas actually means longer dives which means more N2 loading. But I understand you mean that by using a larger tanks she's likely to have a larger reserve at the end of the dive if she's diving with you.

But back to your original question, as I mentioned try to get the steel 100s or even 120s if you can. You'll enjoy them more than the AL100.

I don't recall you asking for advice about your own air consumption 'problem' but of course several valiant heroes rushed to the rescue to tell you how to dive. Welcome aboard!

I'm a bit surprised there is so much confusion in this discussion, but maybe that is because the concept of "gas matching" is taught at the technical level, ...
I couldn't agree more for "tech" or NDL diving where the divers need to return to an upline or entry point. Rockbottom (mingas)

But for uncomplicated, direct ascent, recreational diving I see it as each diver having a timer on his/her back and both will begin their ascent when the first timer goes off.

I will reach out to the dive shops we are thinking of going with and see if they offer a larger volume tank for me to use. I can handle the extra size/ weight (ex-division I football player, I'm big with an athletic build)... the weight and size shouldn't be an issue for me. If they have a larger tank it's a bonus, if they don't then I'll dive with an AL80.

As far as thinking about having my wife dive with a smaller tank, I like the idea of having her use an AL80 for now at least. Maybe I'll tank to a dive operator when we're in Bonaire (shallow shore dives). Currently she can dive with the larger tanks, more volume = more safety IMO.

With my air use, I'll try some of the tips suggested. I know I use my arms a lot. Also, looking back on my open water training (my only diving experience, outside of two 'discover scuba dives') our instructor had me go in the water first, so I was using more air compared to our group. This was especially true on the last dive we did, it was a group of 5 people, and I was on the descent rope for maybe 10 minutes while I waited for the entire group to get in the water and start going down.

You should be using your arms very little (or even less). Also you just need to realize that a larger person, who is carrying a larger muscle mass, is going to have a higher basal metabolism and this equates to respiration demands. You probably have the potential to reduce your consumption, but be realistic with your expectations.

If you are going to be the first one in the water and want to conserve air, you might also keep a snorkel on hand so that instead of waiting on the surface and breathing off your tank you are using the big tank in the sky. You might look at thermal protection too. If you already are sucking air down faster than your partner, a little chill will make you suck down air.

I have an AL100. I really like it. they have buoyancy characteristics similar to steel.

AL100's are common in Cozumel. The fills are good. Everywhere else I have dived, AL80's were the norm however that doesn't mean they don't exist - just not with the dive ops I used at the locations I have been. You would have to ask the dive shop you use for AL100s or steel tanks to be sure.

I got al100's in Cozumel this past summer with Dive Paradise. After a week of diving, I got zero short fills. They didn't have any steel tanks available.

I'm sure the answer to your question will depend entirely on the destination. In my home area, shops tend to have al80's and a variety of steel tanks available.

You can get AL-100's on Roatan also. We did at Coconut Tree Divers in the West End.

Turks/Caicos Explorer had 4-5. Since they whip fill, you only need one.

I'm reliably sure Curacao does also. We dove with a lot of shops there so I don't remember which ones but Go West Diving sticks out in my mind.

I'd guess - but do not know - that TDS (Technical Diving Services) at Habitat Bonaire does also. It seems like something Dive Friends might have also.

If you are hanging at 10 ft for 10 minutes and are relaxed you will not use much air.

Lots of free advice but unless you are picking up something or taking a picture there is no reason to use your arms at all. Also you should only be kicking if you want to get somewhere.

I find that if I am diving with a less experienced diver that one of the more helpful things is that after the descent we just hang there for a couple minutes and let them get their buoyancy dialed in a bit before we move. Too often I see learning divers drop down and immediately begin to move. They never really get their buoyancy adjusted and as a consequence are using swimming to hold their position in the water column.

Firstly, having your wife get an Al 63 tank is some of the worst advice I've heard, bordering on criminal

"Criminal" Now that is funny right there.
"Give a child a hammer and everything he encounters requires pounding."

No where in the OP did I note that this beginning couple wants to do more than simple warm water ( ie. no overhead, no decompression) resort diving. Thousands of these dives are done every day with an excellent safety record. His air consumption (sac rate if you prefer) will improve with practice (but so will hers) and will probably always be a controlling factor of dive length. A non-technical diver's buddy obligations DO NOT include carrying extra gas to augment his buddy's supply, so there is no reason for her to lug a larger tank of unnecessary gas. I see absolutely no problem with his renting bigger tanks if he can, or her using 63's if he cannot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom