Are Brass grommets OK for salt water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squishy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All!

I recently bought a small dive knife and would like to attach it to my BCD. The instructions that came with the knife, say to poke a couple holes in the fabric to put the screws through. I do not want to do that, as I believe it will compromise the strength of the fabric. I thought I would install some small grommets instead.

Locally, I found brass grommets that would work. My question is whether brass will hold up to salt water? I might be able to special order stainless steel or nickel-plated grommets.

Does anyone know if brass is OK, or if one of the other options is better?

Thanks!

Depending on what the backplate for the knife is like, it may be as effective as a grommet at protecting the fabric. Brass will corrode, but it should last as long as you need it, if you decide to use the grommets. If you just poke holes, you can carefully sear the edges of the nylon with a lighter or a candle to keep the edges from fraying.

Using a hot soldering iron to poke a hole through nylon is the best way to make a hole. It can still fray and tear if there is significant stress and wear.

A metal grommet will prevent most wear and help distribute stress.

Brass will eventually loose zink to sea water through galvanic action. When this happens it becomes brittle and will fail.

Plated steel grommets will rust when the plating is scratched.

Marine bronze and stainless steel are the preferred metals to use in sea water.

The standard brass gromets from Home Cheapo will last as long as you need, as long as you are not doing rental and rise and dry your gear after each dive/ trip. I have some on my harness that are at least 10 years old and still going strong.

I would not use them on a boat cover or any other item that is at or near the water all the time, but for most divers a BC is lucky to see salt water for 50 to 100 hours per year.

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like brass would work, especially since I live in Minnesota and it will only see salt water once (or hopefully twice) a year. However; since stainless is better, I will have them order the stainless ones.

Thanks again for the advice.
-Mike-

The mechanics of it suggests that using screws will be less damaging than the grommett. If you cut the belt, or heat the belt till it melts - you are damaging the polyester/polyethylene fibers, and weaken the belt.

If you use screws - the thread of the screws simply pushes the fibers apart, and not damaging them.

Grommetts would be fine, if you intend to remove and reattach the belt alot. But it will not strenghten the belt.

My guess is, the belt has 20 times the strenght that it needs to do its job - so go ahead, cut and burn away.

If you are using a back plate - the grommett likely will make it difficult to rethread your rig.

If you are using a regular BC, remember, there will be a time when your buckles will break, and you will like to replace it with one from the hardware store. That grommett will prevent you from doing this.

In my opinion, just use a standard screw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom