Are cold water divers better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you go no you go.jpg

cold water rocks

Attachments

• jan 31 ice dive.jpg
    jan 31 ice dive.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 705
A photo by Norbert Wu taken in the Antarctic:

antarctic-diving-penguins.jpg

Before I took up technical diving I could hand carry all my gears(9kg) hopped onto the plane and went diving.
I never paid any excess luggage in my short diving career(rec and tek).

Are cold water divers better? So what!
None of those acquired special("superior") skills has any applications in warm water.

better divers???
or wetter divers??
more dives=more skill practice
the # of dives are definately up on warmer water divers
ease of access,not having to build fires,you know,logistic kinda stuff...
...trying to pry gear outta the back end of a pick up at the end of the day...
priceless!!!:eyebrow:

SnowPics0036.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is that in Seattle? I thought you guys all freaked out and stayed at home when snow stayed on the ground! :D (I'm only half joking, cab drivers were freaking out the last time I was there because snow was sticking to the ground)

Here my personal contributon to the cold water gear up album.... that ice sure was useful as a bench to help me put my fins on.

icegearup.jpg

Before I took up technical diving I could hand carry all my gears(9kg) hopped onto the plane and went diving.
I never paid any excess luggage in my short diving career(rec and tek).

Are cold water divers better? So what!
None of those acquired special("superior") skills has any applications in warm water.
What you don't know can and will hurt you. Just ask Rich Pyle about how warm warm water is at times.
[video=youtube_share;UbFTdiBa9cg]http://youtu.be/UbFTdiBa9cg[/video]

Last edited:
Is that in Seattle? I thought you guys all freaked out and stayed at home when snow stayed on the ground! :D (I'm only half joking, cab drivers were freaking out the last time I was there because snow was sticking to the ground)

Indeed they do ... but I lived in New England for 23 years, so snow doesn't bother me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cold water divers are certainly better in cold water.

What a great thread! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it the last couple of days. Too bad it's not a poll.
I dive year round in the northeast. I've always heard the saying " If you can dive here you can dive anywhere" I think it does hold some merit.
But I think there are good and bad divers in every temperature zone. In my opinion what makes a good diver is commitment to the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom