Are cold water divers better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was careful not to do that by qualifying statements using terms like on average, usually (as in not always), and likely. If that was not clear then that was a failure of my intent and I apologize.
Yes, you were careful to do that in the post you quote, and I do agree with everything you said in that particular post, for what it's worth. However, that was not the post I was responding to. In your later post in which you challenge the idea that the Galapagos is a cold-water dive destination based on its geographical location and averaged data of surface water temperatures, you were not so careful, and you also subtlely phrased your statements so as to imply that my own statements were poorly grounded. Similarly, you have done the same thing in this reply (e.g., "76° water" which I never mentioned, but which you could claim wasn't meant to be a quote; comparing extremes such as North Sea divers and those who frequent Caribbean areas when I only compared Galapagos and Komodo--both known as challenging destinations). So if you are apologizing for craftily trying to slant your replies to make rhetorical points, apology accepted!

The definition of cold water really is relative ... I have an Alaskan friend who refers to Puget Sound as "warm-water diving" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes....Cold water divers are better. And I'm really getting stressed waking up at night wishing I could move somewhere cold so I could improve my diving skills. But, alas, I'm stuck here. Mediocre at best. Damn......

Yes....Cold water divers are better. And I'm really getting stressed waking up at night wishing I could move somewhere cold so I could improve my diving skills. But, alas, I'm stuck here. Mediocre at best. Damn......

Maybe I can help you out, there. We could swap homes for a month and you could become a better diver. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I aspire to becoming a warm-water wuss ... unfortunately, I'm stuck in Seattle for at least another three years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I always said you were a smart guy...:D
I aspire to becoming a warm-water wuss ... unfortunately, I'm stuck in Seattle for at least another three years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've met quite a few perfectly competent warm water divers. Some of them have actually visited Finland and done just fine, or at least pretended so. :D

//LN

I've met quite a few perfectly competent warm water divers. Some of them have actually visited Finland and done just fine, or at least pretended so. :D
I think it should be clear that everything is a generalization. For example, my post about divers who only go on vacation dives to warm water resorts where DMs to all the work for them describes only a percentage of the population. The DMs who do all that work for them, on the other hand, would probably be pretty good.

I mostly do cold freshwater diving (from 35F to 70F) with viz from 5 to 20' and sometime heavy current. The few time I dived in the carribean (Roatan and San Andrés) I felt I was in a giant pool. However, I'm pretty sure other warm water destinations offer rougher seas and lower viz than 100'.

I'm tempted to say that a typical diver used to rough cold ocean is better than a warm water diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom