are combination octo/power inflators BS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm buying a first-time setup, and i'm thinking of getting the Atomic SS1 combination power inflator / octopus, thus losing an additional hose. What do you jedi-divers out there think about this? Are those combos a gimmick, a danger, or a convenient way to stremline your gear?

This has been the subject of much debate on the board. Try doing a search for AIR2 or AirSource. I've used one (AirSource) and liked it. Others will recommend against it.

funkyspelunker:
I'm buying a first-time setup, and i'm thinking of getting the Atomic SS1 combination power inflator / octopus, thus losing an additional hose. What do you jedi-divers out there think about this? Are those combos a gimmick, a danger, or a convenient way to stremline your gear?

Let me fist qualify this reply with - I have not tried this or actually used this gear configuration (just so you know that the following is based upon opinion only).
I thought of that as well when I bought my first rig. My immediate concern was the actual "usability" of the gizmo. So, without actually getting in the water, I asked my buddy (wife) to "play along" with a "dry run" on using it. Once we did, I felt that the reach was too short and that the control of the BC was compromised (venting) using this gear config. I then asked the guys at the LDS what they thought (maybe I was being too pesimistic), and they confirmed my opinions.
There are others on this board who seem to validate my conclussions - but I think you should carefully consider all arguments and do some trials on your own before making that decission. As for me... I can't suggest that you do go that direction, nor will I consider it an option for myself and my buddy. No way will I dive with someone who has a rig like this.

Also search octo+ the Zeagle version. This has been discussed alott.

It seems nice to have one less hose but I think it's too big a compromise. I started out on rental gear with the Scubapro Air2. I felt it was too awkward and inflexible in real use. And I don't know if this is always the case or just the rentals I had, but they always seemed to breath lousy too and I wouldn't want to be the one who wound up using it.

Get a full second stage backup. When the brown stuff hits the fan, you don't want to be thinking "it sucks to breath, I can't move my head, and controlling my buoyancy is difficult, but hey - I've got one less hose!"

I have used an AIR2 for years, without any problems whatsoever. Reefguy is right though, you're gonna get a lot of "opinions" like jhelmuth's, and almost exclusively from guys who have never used them. Try it for yourself, then make the call. Jhelmuth, as for not diving with guys who use a rig like that, all I can say it's your loss. A lot of experienced divers, myself included, like them, and you never know what you could be learning from them. This prejudice, like so many others, stems mostly from ignorance of the subject, and fear of the unknown.

My wife and I used Tusa's version as well as SQ version for a number of years for Rec diving. They both worked very well. When I started Cavern/Intro Cave and Adv. Nitrox classes I moved to Long hose with bungee Octo and love it. My wife is not so easily changed. She wants to continue to use hers since she is only rec tropical diving and I'm not going to push her. She is comfortable with it and it continues to provide good operation.

As I understand the protocol for using the combination octo/inflator, you hand your primary to your buddy and YOU use the SS1, precisely because of the reach and BC control issues. So if you're going to go that way, best to find one that breathes the way you like it. I thought about it recently as well but chose to go with a traditional octo. I'm a single diver and while I always go over my equipment with my buddy-of-the-day, saving a hose wasn't worth a potential safety compromise. I'm not saying the equipment is unsafe, I'm saying if both divers are not intimately familiar with it there might be issues in a stressful situation. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I teach and used to use an AIR 2 before I got into the tech diving. Now I've been enlightened more and believe that DIR (or what ever you want to call it) should be used even for recreational divers, i.e. a 5' to 7' hose for your primary regulator, and a quality second stage with a necklace ... since this is what you will be breathing if your buddy needs to share gas. I believe this is just the best set up and if you need help, there are plenty of posts here or just ask in this thread. Keep in mind, the reg/inflator system is designed for you to give up your primary reg … so why not have a long hose to do it. So the next step is to just keep a good alternate around your neck for you to grab and use if need be. Finally, if you do ever get into tech diving, a combination reg/inflator is not acceptable, so you will have to start all over. While I am sure others will disagree with me, I am very adamant that this is the best system … and it doesn’t cost that much more. Don’t forget, you are buying life support equipment and a backup to breath for yourself when you give up your primary reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom