are combination octo/power inflators BS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the shadow plus and its minimus counterpart are both crap. I don't believe that they fall into the category of a combination power inflator/octo... But I guess that the minimus should be paired with the brut .... for training and simplicity.

I attach a Minimus when I have to teach. It IS a flimsy piece of plastic, but it breathes okay at any angle and hardly takes up any space. I'm not sure how it would hold up to serious use though, or cold water.

scubafanatic:
Have you ever taken a 'technical' dive class/training? You will never see 'advanced' dive instructors using an integrated BC hose/octo...and if you sign up for such classes, you won't be allowed into the water with that configuration.

You are free to use that configuration in 'recreational' diving...however, I'm at a loss as to the attractiveness of that option, since you are now aware 'real' divers won't dive that way, and there's no reason you shouldn't dive like the 'pros'...and give the 'pros' some credit for knowing what they are taking about in such matters.

Technical diving teaches that it's principles apply across the whole range of diving....including the beginner diver...sound safety procedures that apply to all.

Before you decide to buy the BC hose/octo configuration have you thought about:

--how you might embolize on the way up if you hold your breath on the way up since you'll be taking the octo out of your mouth to vent your BC to avoid a runaway ascent?

--even if you remember to exhale properly, you'll be in a panic too, your air comsumption will be higher than ever, do your really want to have to keep taking the reg out of your mouth to vent your BC?

--how you'll be screwed if you buddy grabs your octo to breathe (in a panic a diver may go to your
octo, as he's pretty focused on grabbing any regulator he plainly sees bubbling, if that's what's in your mouth he'll key on that ...oops, there goes your control over your bouyancy......another runaway ascent......embolism.....and death!)

--if you're in a low vis/night/darkness scenario.....and the buddy runs out of air......he's not gonna waste time trying to guess where the heck you've stowed your octo......he's gonna find your body, then he's gonna find your head, then your face, then your mouth, then rip the reg out of your mouth.

If you're breathing your primary 2nd stage, he's gonna take that and you're gonna get stuck with the octo.....the one that's so short you can't turn your head, the one that breathes poorly, the one you have to keep taking out of your mouth to vent the BC.

If somehow you get him to use the octo, congradulations, you've got a panicky diver a foot away from you, who's in charge of your bouyancy.....no room to maneuver or swim...and God-forbid you're in a tight/constricted place where 2 divers can't fit though simultaneously....you can't swim one behind the other in line with your buddy using your octo...and you probably won't be able to do it even with your longer primary 2nd stage.

The integrated BC/octo is a great idea as long as you never actually have to use it.....in a non-emergency situation, where the octo is just along for the ride, no harm is done......but in this case the cure is worse than the disease......an extra hose the just the price that has to be paid to really have a functional system.

Karl

HOLY S***! Does it cause spontanious human combustion too? That would really suck. I took my OW with an AirII and loved it. It does have it's drawbacks but you should always be comfy with your gear and practice B4 an emergency....my advice - switch to decaf, Sweetie

Damn you guys like to type,

Well, I bought a Zeagle Octo+ and had it installed. I'm a fairly new diver (rescue diver) and just purchased my regs. I chose this setup before I really knew much, and figured since it's paid for, I'll try it before spending a bunch more on a normal octo.

Ok, the idea of simplifying my setup is what got me, I'm all over that. By the time I was ready to install it, I was already wondering, but still going to give it a shot.

I've done 10 dives on it, and it's gonna be sold as soon as I can afford a proper octo. Here are my reasons.

1. Buttons on bottom side, big fat gloves, can be akward. hit the inflator and also the deflate more then once. Not a huge deal, but not impressing me.

2. The deflate is directly over the button, so when I squeeze it with my drygloves, I tend to cover the dump hole. Doesn't deflate very quickly like this, again, not a huge deal, but not impressed.

3. After my first dive, I got home, rinsed my gear as usual, went to fill my bc with clean water to rinse it out and blow it up manually, only to find this isn't possible through the mouthpiece. I guess I could stick my mouth over the dump, plug the end and somehow manage, but really not user friendly. This is a huge deal. If I had an issue with the inflator and had to unclip my Octo+ I want to be able to fill my bc at the surface so I can float.

4. I think there is some merit in having a similar configuration to most of your buddies. Just takes away some of the stress when an emergency arrises.

Just my opinions, but my Octo+ will be for sale very soon.

Sean

DiveKitty68:
HOLY S***! Does it cause spontanious human combustion too? That would really suck. I took my OW with an AirII and loved it. It does have it's drawbacks but you should always be comfy with your gear and practice B4 an emergency....my advice - switch to decaf, Sweetie

I would agree. I have to wonder how you infinite wisdom of 'real world diving' in thecaves has anything to do with how other people will react with this piece of equipment. I am sure that there are others who use these things in the 'real world' and do just fine.

You remind me of an instructor I once knew who said that ice diving students were not permitted to carry knives under the water because should they be hit with hypothermia and have to use the knife they would not have clear judgement and run a very high risk of doing more harm than good. He then proceeded to carry a knife under the ice. I guess instructors get hit with a different kind of hypothermia.
Bottom line here is that you should dive with what you are comfortable with and be familiar with it. Don't let anyone tell you that it is not good if it works for you. Even in 'the real world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom