Are corded lights a thing of the past?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So who is Neptune’s cave dwelling uncle daddy?

I switched from a BigBlue to a canister because the size of the light was hitting my dry suit rings and making holding the light uncomfortable. I needed a suite heater anyway so just figured why not? I'm not doing multi hour cave dives either but find the corded light to be more comfortable, yes dealing w/ the cord is a bit of a PITA but just at the start/end of the dive.

yes dealing w/ the cord is a bit of a PITA but just at the start/end of the dive.
You would also need to deal with the cord in the event of donating one's primary to an OOG diver. It's a rare event, sure, but you don't want the cord to get in the way, so you need to do the drills dealing with the cord. Those are a PITA. I suppose if I were a more experienced diver diving more frequently it would be a non-issue. I'll likely remain a "tourist cave" diver and switch to a cordless light.

You mean Poseidon . . .Neptune was the Roman rerun. He was also the god of horses, which is why he is often portrayed with them.
Triton is in there, too, somewhere. Which one wields that cool pitchfork thingie? Never mind, never mind. Back on topic. Canister lights.

Can lights with cords won't vanish anytime soon.

Probably not but they will get continue to get harder to find and more expensive as battery, LED, and reflector technology improves. I'm thinking about 10 years before the market completely dries up and battery packs with remote light heads becomes a DIY niche.

So who is Neptune’s cave dwelling uncle daddy?

The blind cave shark eater of lights, spools, reels, and bolt snaps.

Can finally recommend the Nanight tech 2 light.

Comes with interchangeable lenses :
- Tight spotlight in murky water (10° lens)
- Floodlight in clear water, coral reefs, caves (35°-55° lens)
- Video light (100°-120° without lens)

I use the 35°. Perfect beam & throw.
4,000 lumens.
6,700 mAh battery that lasts 4 dives on full brightness and on the whole time. I'll top it off for an hour before a night dive.

Anything else that's corded is a tight 5 to 10° beam that's useless for exploring.

tech_black_1.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom