Are dive boats always so packed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dove in miami but have a few friends that went down there which had a similar experience to yours. sounded very hectic and unorganized. There are pleanty of boats that go out close to you which have great diving without the crowded experience, none I know of in miami tho. Come a bit north to Ft. Lauderdale and there are pleanty of boats that go out that I have never had an overcrowding issue, even on a full boat there was still room to move about. And if you go a little farther north to pompano like some have said you will find many nice reefs and wrecks and most the time I have been out there have been empty seats on some of the boats and always pleanty of room. And overcrowded boat = not as much fun

In the US I believe the capacity regulations are connected to "load rating" for the vessel. The boat I work on is certified for 16 people, which would make the max load; Captain, 2 diving crew and 13 diving guests. That takes into consideration dive gear and tanks for 15 divers to make 2 dives with some spare gear (2 tanks, some BC's, a few wet suits, couple regs, lot's of dive weights, rental fins...).

It's good to know that they aren't all like this. I went on this boat. I think there were more than 30 people on it. Some were upstairs because there was no room downstairs.

The crew was really friendly and nice though and they operated very efficiently. I'd love to go with them again but maybe I'll do it during the week as suggested. They also had a great system for getting on board. They checked your name on the list and helped you take off your fins and steady you as you walked off. Maybe the reason it was extra crowded this weekend is that they weren't able to go out last weekend due to high waves.

I'm also going to look into the PB/BB boats suggested by DanV and other smaller operators in the area. This was arranged by my LDS so I hadn't even thought yet about looking into dive boats on my own.

Good idea about getting my BC on the tank before putting it on the boat. I will do that next time. It would have also helped to get back on the boat before the rest because all all the spots were taken except two in the front. Some instructor from whatever dive school that was that seemed to own the entire front half of the boat took my tank out and put it in the rear center of the boat...which then someone took and I had to search for a bit for another full one.

You should really drive to Palm Beach for diving...it is MUCH better than Miami. Also, the boats are not cattle boats...Try Splashdown divers in Boynton Beach, or Underwater Explorers in BB.

DanV

I'll second that, driving up to Boynton Beach. Also try Logggerhead, they're right next to Splashdown. The summer before last summer, my buddy and I were the only ones to show up at Loggerhead, yet they took us out anyway, just the two of us. They said they needed to run the boat once in a while. business was slow due to the recession.

I still get down there a couple times a year, even though I'm living up near Seattle. Also, if you let them know the type of diving you're doing--bug hunting, photography, spearfishing, or whatever, they know the best places for the type of diving you're doing.

If you do try Loggerhead, tell them Ron from Seattle says "Hi".

Ron

In your future dive boat experiences you should expect to have your 2 tanks and your seat accordingly. I agree that a cramped boat and a rushed schedule takes away from the fun of the trip. I think most any charter boat other than a "6pack" will feel somewhat cramped with a full load. Depending on the dive, some operators will drop the hunters and photographers/sightseers separately to ease the burden.

To the OP,

You said you didn't have any room for your large dive bag. I know you are a new diver but I would suggest that you start thinking now about what you really need to take with you and what can stay at home. People packing like they are going on a 5 day live-aboard when they go out for a 2 tank dive is another thing that takes up way too much space on a boat.

I'll second that, driving up to Boynton Beach. Also try Logggerhead, they're right next to Splashdown. The summer before last summer, my buddy and I were the only ones to show up at Loggerhead, yet they took us out anyway, just the two of us. They said they needed to run the boat once in a while. business was slow due to the recession.

I still get down there a couple times a year, even though I'm living up near Seattle. Also, if you let them know the type of diving you're doing--bug hunting, photography, spearfishing, or whatever, they know the best places for the type of diving you're doing.

If you do try Loggerhead, tell them Ron from Seattle says "Hi".

Ron

Is this the one you mean?

Anyone have experience with Pro Dive?

I'll also check out splashdown and underwater explorers

Thanks for the recommendations!

To the OP,

You said you didn't have any room for your large dive bag. I know you are a new diver but I would suggest that you start thinking now about what you really need to take with you and what can stay at home. People packing like they are going on a 5 day live-aboard when they go out for a 2 tank dive is another thing that takes up way too much space on a boat.

I understand the concern. I bought this bag and I think the only gear that stayed in it was my wetsuit and a little tool/spare parts bag less than a foot long.

My friends had a very similar experience at the same OP you were at.
I like going out of pompano a lot I go with
Parrot Island
i've been out with them a few times as well as
ScubaTyme, dona have a website but their number is 954-786-0909
I hear south florida dive co is really good too.

I dont kno about west palm much but I hear the diving is much much better than down south Force-E is a good shop to get info from, they dont have any of their own boats but they will be able to get you information on the dive sites that any boat is gona to on a given day Florida Scuba Diving, Dive Florida's Best Sites

The way it has beem explained to me is:
A 6 pack is a uninspected vessel..Can be any size as long as load capacity is not exceded.Captain to have at minimum a operator of unispected vessel license(6 pack license).
A inspected vessel is inspected by the coast guard to certain parameters, captain can have a 6 pack license and only take out 6 passengers or a masters ticket,with a certain tonnage, and take out what the vessel is rated for.Other restricitions can be miles from shore for both captain and vessel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom