Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why wouldn't a 2-tank-a-day-diver not want to know deco status? The DM might be busy rescueing some other suicidal diver, I want to know what's going on in my dive. Get the computer.

Do you believe that if they don't have a computer they have no way to know their 'deco' status?

IMO the fact that they need a depth gauge and a bottom timer anyway, a computer can be had for no less money. At that point they now have an ascent rate monitor at no or little additional cost.
IMV the average O/W diver (especially the newb's) should have an ascent monitor. I put it like this. Sending a new/inexperienced O/W diver to the surface without an ascent rate monitor is about the same thing as throwing a brand new/inexperienced driver out on the road, telling them to drive 30 mph and then covering up their speedometer. Can it be done, surely. Should it be done? that's your call. Is there a better way for those noob's... IMV yes.

The nice thing about computer is they are an active safety element of the dive. Gauges are passive. Gauges not doing you a bit of good if you are not looking at them. I would rather not spend the whole dive reading gauges. My computer is my constant buddy.

Ever notice how a lot of dive guides dive a little shallower that you to conserve air and have a better view than the surroundings, impacts? Does the dive guide know how much air you have? Are they make sure you just break through the MOD? is the Dive guide even paying attention to his gauges? I he paying attention to you? Do they breathe at the same rate as you? Does the dive guide break away to take a dive low on air to the surface? Are they monitoring your accent rate? …

You as a diver are responsible for your own care and safety, if you think anything else you have a false expectation. The dive guide is not your baby sitter. It is amazing that people still debate using a computer.

I might be dumb but I cannot see the connection between using a computer, not looking at the gauges, dive guide babysitting and safety :) The same way the client is not looking at the gauges he will not be looking at the computer. Computer has nothing to do with safety. IMHO diving computer is no more safe as diving a watch and depth gauge. I would say it's totally opposite. I have a friend who has a computer and violates the NDLs from time to time. For this he just says that it's not a problem the computer just tells him how much deco he has to do :) He has no clue about decompression and has no training. I do not see how he is safer having a computer.

You do realize that all we are requiring is that tables divers plan their dives and then dive their plans?

If the first dive is 80' max depth for max 35 minutes of diving, then ascending at the mooring line for a 3 minute SS @ 15', then a 45-50 minute SI before the second dive with a 60' max depth, the tables diver who is good on their air is going to have to ascend well before the computer dive who is good on their air, no?.

Not necessarily, I'm diving PADI Air tables, my buddy Suunto Vyper2. Once we had a plan and I was following my bottom timer and he was tracking his computer, when we surfaced we have compared the time limit on 2 depth and we had a difference of 2 minutes on the 1 st point and 5 mins on the second which was 30' shallower. But there is no argument that diving watch requires more involvement from the diver and this is not what a vacation diver would love to do. I would agree with you that for a vacation diver computer is must especially keeping in mind that a price of a basic nitrox computer on sale will be not much different from that of a UWATEC Bottom Timer.
Unless one has a desire to play masochistic games I see no reason of not buying a simple wrist computer which I have seen in Florida sold for under 150 sometimes

Do you believe that if they don't have a computer they have no way to know their 'deco' status?
I "believe" a diver could plan a dive with a multi level dive planner, either electronic or the dreaded PADI wheel, note the depths and times on a slate and follow that plan using a dive watch that could cost as much as a basic computer. Do you "believe" that that is going to happen with an average 2 dive a day vacation diver? Do you "believe" that is simpler or safer than following a simple computer? Or are you just throwing your vast authority around?

IMO the fact that they need a depth gauge and a bottom timer anyway, a computer can be had for no less money. At that point they now have an ascent rate monitor at no or little additional cost.
IMV the average O/W diver (especially the newb's) should have an ascent monitor. I put it like this. Sending a new/inexperienced O/W diver to the surface without an ascent rate monitor is about the same thing as throwing a brand new/inexperienced driver out on the road, telling them to drive 30 mph and then covering up their speedometer. Can it be done, surely. Should it be done? that's your call. Is there a better way for those noob's... IMV yes.

So you agree with me that a dive computer is the best way for average OW diver to monitor and control an average multi-level warm water dive. Thanks.

Dive computers are used to calculate the amount of no decompression time you have left on a particular dive... they are not used so that you can go into decompression by any means! In Bali, we often do 3 dives inbetween the hours of 9 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and especially during the busy Mola Mola season these 3 dives tend to be reasonably deep ( as the Mola Mola like the colder water) diving with computers is a fantastic way of staying safe throughout as the nitrogen levels can built up considerably!

there are many different types of computer available on the market and in my opinion suunto are the best available for recreational diving, ease of use, reliability and conservatism are 3 major features of all suunto computers!

One good reason for owning a dive computer is that if you don't you have to rely on the accuracy/functionality of depth gauges on rental regulator sets.

Another good reason is that it provides instant contingency planning, should you exceed depths/times planned on a table.

Another is that it provides accurate emergency decompression information should you ever get into that scenario.

Another is that it provides an easy to follow ascent rate and increases the accuracy of your safety stops. In turn, this fosters an immediate appreciation of the necessity for slow ascents.

Another is that it enables multi-level profiles, extending your dive time...especially when you do not know the topography of a dive site in advance and cannot plan an accurate multi-level profile in advance using tables.

Another is that it allows you to readjust your dive plan during the dive, should anything cause you to want to deviate from your pre-planned profile (bad weather, currents...or the appearance of a whale shark).

Another is that it provides audible and visual alarms that serve as a back-up to your own vigilance and observation...in the event of a scenario unfolding where you are task-loaded and/or distracted. This is especially important for nitrox divers.

Another is that provides easier-to-read and, arguably, more accurate information than a typical analog depth gauge.

Another is that it records your dive electronically, making it easier to fill out your logbook afterwards (or download to a pc).... and/or provides a critical record of your exact dive profile in the unlikely event that you ever suffer DCI and require hyperbaric recompression treatment.

Another is that it uses the most modern algorythms to calculate a safe dive profile.

Need any more reasons?

One good reason for owning a dive computer is that if you don't you have to rely on the accuracy/functionality of depth gauges on rental regulator sets.

Another good reason is that it provides instant contingency planning, should you exceed depths/times planned on a table.

Another is that it provides accurate emergency decompression information should you ever get into that scenario.

Another is that it provides an easy to follow ascent rate and increases the accuracy of your safety stops. In turn, this fosters an immediate appreciation of the necessity for slow ascents.

Another is that it enables multi-level profiles, extending your dive time...especially when you do not know the topography of a dive site in advance and cannot plan an accurate multi-level profile in advance using tables.

Another is that it allows you to readjust your dive plan during the dive, should anything cause you to want to deviate from your pre-planned profile (bad weather, currents...or the appearance of a whale shark).

Another is that it provides audible and visual alarms that serve as a back-up to your own vigilance and observation...in the event of a scenario unfolding where you are task-loaded and/or distracted. This is especially important for nitrox divers.

Another is that provides easier-to-read and, arguably, more accurate information than a typical analog depth gauge.

Another is that it records your dive electronically, making it easier to fill out your logbook afterwards (or download to a pc).... and/or provides a critical record of your exact dive profile in the unlikely event that you ever suffer DCI and require hyperbaric recompression treatment.

Another is that it uses the most modern algorythms to calculate a safe dive profile.

Need any more reasons?

So, your saying that using available technology has many benefits, most of them safety related? Huh, who would have guessed...:D

Thanks for this. I was tempted to post something similar, but your post is much more detailed than mine would have been. I honestly don't understand people who are opposed to using dive computers, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Do you "believe" that is simpler or safer than following a simple computer? Or are you just throwing your vast authority around?
:lotsalove:
Casey... where did that come from? You sound like I pissed in your Cheerios. You asked a question. I replied with another question qualified by a statement.
Your like the 3rd dude in as many days who while agreeing with your sentiment I've asked questions of and get some venomous statements?
what gives with all the thin skin?
'Vast authority'????? whatever... sheesh I didn't know I had any of that... but thanks! :shakehead:

FWIW Casey: It would have been cool of ya to have read the WHOLE post and responded to the intent. Not just picked something out just so you could spit in my eye for no good reason.

-picks up a handy wipe and rub's casey goobers off of face-

Casey:
So you agree with me that a dive computer is the best way for average OW diver to monitor and control an average multi-level warm water dive. Thanks.
Yes basically I do agree. But maybe not for the reasons you think. I think they shine in the hands of an average OWD due to the ability to accurately and easily monitor an ascent without the distraction of manually calculating the ascent.
but letting a computer 'control' a dive. I think not.

edit to add:
When used right technology can be a great asset to us. But when/if a diver lets technology take control of a dive, IMO it can actually detract from ones safety. Use of technology as an aid is Ok. Giving up control to it? Im not so keen on that. i don't believe, as a diver, you should let a computer do anything for you that you could not do without it.

if your doing mostly flat shallow water dives a computer is only slightly beneficial. If you dive a ledge or something that you change depth a bit it becomes more beneficial. if you have a comp that does nitrox also and dive nitrox it is even more beneficial.

the fact alot of them log dives and can transfer to a computer is only a convenience thing and the warnings for ascent rate, time low, air low, and monitor surface interval are all kinda nice for adding to the safety aspect but if you have another diver using your comp while your on your surface interval it screws up the computer so warnings come up and it gets annoying

You do realize that all we are requiring is that tables divers plan their dives and then dive their plans?

If the first dive is 80' max depth for max 35 minutes of diving, then ascending at the mooring line for a 3 minute SS @ 15', then a 45-50 minute SI before the second dive with a 60' max depth, the tables diver who is good on their air is going to have to ascend well before the computer dive who is good on their air, no?

Not necessarily

You are correct; if the dives are simple square or step profiles a normal table or multi-level table/wheel/eDRP plan should be very similar to the computer result for the same dives.

I got lazy and forgot to quantify my example with *both dives being highly variable multi-level dives where credit for time spent shallow could only be taken into account by a dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom