Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lines of distinction are becoming blurred today with dive electronics, much like phones & cameras. Most new DC's have gauge mode when the diver wants just monitoring. My Suunto D3 watch is a favorite for freediving and it's also has gauge mode, but it's not technically a dive computer, if gas uptake is your criterior. (It's already discontinued.) There are many new watch models sold by Oceanic, Suunto, Cressi-sub, Mares, etc. My Uwatec DC's, like many others, have optional alarms.

Having instruments has always been better than not.

Chad

I dive with two different models of computers and follow the slightly more conservative one most of the time (unless the computer inside my brain tells me different). Of course the primary reason for having two is the potential for computer or battery failure. I had my previous one go out on me totally unexpectedly on a 22 min deco stop.

I primarily dive with an Atom 1.0, which has had some battery issues. Because of this, I try to plan the dive beforehand with tables, unless the nature of my dives kills the tables. If I'm doing anything pretty much below 25-30 feet, since I have to rent a regulator anyways, I swing by the shop that includes a backup computer on their consoles and rent there. It's nice to have a backup, even if I never look at it. It helps that they're my favorite shop, too. :)

I did two 80-ft dives in high altitude, and my tables were telling me I was dead after the first one. :lol The profile was a gradual descent down a shoreline, and a gradual return. Got major credit on my BT for that one.

I'll ascribe to Schlock Mercenary's Rule 37:

There is no overkill. There is only 'Open Fire' and 'Reload'.

:)

My wife and I both have computers now, though we've not dived deep enough or frequent enough that they've given us a distinct advantage in bottom time. On the other hand, having them for our early, basic dives allows us to get truly familiar with them and used to using them, so that when we progress to more advanced dives, we're not going to be figuring out the computers at the same time, or limited by the single-level calculations of the dive tables.

Overkill? Probably; but then again, don't we engage in overkill in many areas of our lives? How many people are driving cars with considerably more engine than they need? How many are using personal computers that are barely scratching the surface of the processor's capabilities? How many folks have cell phones with more bells and whistles than they'll ever figure out, let alone use? What percentage of the channels on our televisions do we actually watch?

I think most of us are of the mindset that too much capability is better than too little.

I think that in many cases they are. If the "normal" diver is one who goes down to the islands for a week of diving and does two tanks each morning or afternoon flowing a guide about, then a computer is by-and-large irrelevant. A computer is more useful for the local diver, say someone who drives down to Monterey from the Bay Area for two dives with a buddy ... but even there I suspect that a depth gauge, watch and tables would serve as well or better.

Do I need a computer myself? 90% of the time I'd say no. I still work tables for most dives and my computer(s) really just backup my tables for most dives.

Sorry, I don't know what a "normal" diver is. On dive vacation (interpreted as any of my dive trips), I dive 3, 4, or 5 dives a day with nitrox and push the limits. I dive independently without a guide. I do multilevel dives to maximize my NDL and my air. I do this for 6 days straight. I can't imagine not diving with the 2 computers I have with me on every dive.

Some have avoided fax machines, CDs, DVDs, and even personal computers, I can't imagine my current diving without dive computers (and I am the old gomer, Thank you).

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
I tried. My last trip: 12.5 days, 49 dives, max depth 132 feet. Most often I use air to 500 PSI. I think it is all about confidence. You are more confident with a comp? Fine, but thank you, no. I'll stick to my Timex and Tables. I know divemasters who dive w/o comps all their lifes.

Save bubbles ;-))

Sorry, I simply cannot imagine that you are as confident as I am that I have not exceeded NDL or have fulfilled my brief decompression obligation when diving under such demanding circumstances for such an extended period. My (2) computer use allows me to rather safely push the limits without taking undue risk. The use of EAN allows me to further safely prolong my exposure.

To each their own, I'm very happy with my behavior, I'm glad you are too. You don't have to justify your decisions, or the ones of DMs you know who also do not use computers.

Good diving, Craig

I think that in many cases they are. If the "normal" diver is one who goes down to the islands for a week of diving and does two tanks each morning or afternoon flowing a guide about, then a computer is by-and-large irrelevant. A computer is more useful for the local diver, say someone who drives down to Monterey from the Bay Area for two dives with a buddy ... but even there I suspect that a depth gauge, watch and tables would serve as well or better.

Do I need a computer myself? 90% of the time I'd say no. I still work tables for most dives and my computer(s) really just backup my tables for most dives.

Computers max my bottom time. when you are on a huge wreck like the vandenberg or spiegel grove, there is no way you can consider them overkill

It kind of depends on how organized your dive plan is.

- Do I need a computer myself? 90% of the time I'd say no. I still work tables for most dives and my computer(s) really just backup my tables for most dives.

- It kind of depends on how organized your dive plan is.

Agreed.

I use a computer to track what I dived (a double check) - I do not include any of the stored information when planning the next dive(s).

Back
Top Bottom