Are Divers ENVIRONMENTALISTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, avoiding the political melodrama this thread has stirred up, I'll simply reply to the OP and address their question directly.

The nature of diving as a serious long-term activity makes environmentalism almost an implicit requirement in a way - since the activity is directly linked with the most abundant, and easily affected resource on this planet - it would be counter-intuitive to be anything but.

This isn't the case for many divers though - particularly the divers who strictly dive at resorts for recreation - the overwhelming conclusion I have come to is that there are a lot of fiscally endowed first-world dwellers rolling off the backs of boats who don't give a flap six ways from Sunday what their environmental footprint is - never mind the cosmic irony of staying at a club med, driving around in a jeep, purchasing cheap trinkets from hurricane impoverished locals, and then paying the 2 dollar marine park fee to engage in water activities like diving.

The diving community is both an incredible source of environmental triumph, and hypocrisy at it's worst. The situation can only prove though - as more and more people discover the under-water world, the desire to protect it grows as well.

As both a mountain biker and a backpacker, the attitudes and environmental affects of the two sports are dramatically different.

Backpackers believe in leaving no trace, don't shortcut the switchbacks and create a new path, don't feed the animals, do your business at least a 100 feet from the water, etc. Backpackers leave nothing and take only pictures.

Unfortunately many divers act like Mountain Bikers of the ocean. They trample the reef, feed the animials (sometimes to each other), kill marine life, and worst of all they pee directly in the water with no reservations and then lie about it afterwards. :D

Seriously though, just as being a diver doesn't automatically make one an athlete, it also doesn't make one an environmentalist.

Again, avoiding the political melodrama this thread has stirred up, I'll simply reply to the OP and address their question directly.

The nature of diving as a serious long-term activity makes environmentalism almost an implicit requirement in a way - since the activity is directly linked with the most abundant, and easily affected resource on this planet - it would be counter-intuitive to be anything but.

This isn't the case for many divers though -
particularly the divers who strictly dive at resorts for recreation -
the overwhelming conclusion I have come to is that
there are a lot of fiscally endowed first-world dwellers rolling off the backs of boats who don't give a flap six ways from Sunday what their environmental footprint is -
never mind the cosmic irony of staying at a club med, driving around in a jeep, purchasing cheap trinkets from hurricane impoverished locals, and then paying the 2 dollar marine park fee to engage in water activities like diving.

The diving community is both an incredible source of environmental triumph, and hypocrisy at it's worst. The situation can only prove though - as more and more people discover the under-water world, the desire to protect it grows as well.

Now that is what I call a very broad brush, especially as no evidence is offered to support it.

One might come to the conclusion that the poster is a low paid unskilled worker griping about the more wealthy?.

It would be interesting to see how many divers go on to take specialty courses in environmentally-related areas such as fish ID vs other specialties of a non-skill nature (meaning specialty courses that are not focused on improving skills or the use of specific equipment, etc.). I have not seen as much serious interest in the marine environment among other divers as I expected. In fact, I often find more of it among non-divers.

However, I think if more opportunities were offered to expand one's knowledge of the marine life and ecology, they might be better attended than some would expect. My LDS and I plan to offer such programs out here on Catalina this spring. Hopefully they will become well-attended and serve as a good activity thru which to share our knowledge and everyone's interest in diving.

However, I think if more opportunities were offered to expand one's knowledge of the marine life and ecology, they might be better attended than some would expect. My LDS and I plan to offer such programs out here on Catalina this spring. Hopefully they will become well-attended and serve as a good activity thru which to share our knowledge and everyone's interest in diving.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you let us know when you'll be starting these classes drbill? I'd love to attend. I'm taking Fish ID this year, but I'd really like to get some more in depth learnings!

And so this is not a total hijack, to the OP's question... I can't speak on whether or not ALL divers are environmentalists, I can only offer MY experience.

I was not an environmentalist before I was a diver. After becoming a diver and learning more and more about the plight of the marine environment that I love so much, yes I would now consider myself an environmentalist. I have taken to donating to charities, writing to businesses to attempt to stop them from serving shark fin soup, and being much more conscientious about my own actions and decisions.

I'll post when we're ready to start the programs, Paadicio. They'll be based on video presentations and discussions among divers on the island the days they are held.

If we can't get a higher percentage of divers to become involved in the environmental issues associated with the marine environment, how can we enlist the help of the non-divers who don't experience it first-hand?

It would be interesting to see how many divers go on to take specialty courses in environmentally-related areas such as fish ID vs other specialties of a non-skill nature (meaning specialty courses that are not focused on improving skills or the use of specific equipment, etc.). I have not seen as much serious interest in the marine environment among other divers as I expected. In fact, I often find more of it among non-divers.

Bill in the last couple of years going to Indonesia I have seen specific dives for Fish ID, Reef preservation and of course Photo classes in the areas I have traveled from Bali to Raja. If I could of hung out at Sorido in Papua in January for another 3 days...I could of probably of gone diving with Gerald Allen as he was coming in to dive with Max....that would of been a great opportunity. The LDS here in Temecula offers a Fish ID class...I guess it would be Pacific cold water fish...LOL...never asked.

I used to be an environmentalist back when I was still young and naive enough to think it might be possible to make a difference. Unfortunately, since studying too much politics and psychology I now realise that humans are set on an irreversible course to destroy the environment.

Fortunately, I'll be dead before it gets really bad and I have no plans for kids so I just plan to enjoy it while it's left.

The only thing constant is change! You can't save Half Dome, it will be a beach some day! All we can do is be good stewards and do what we can to enjoy the ride!

This will piss off some folks, but freedom is a beautiful thing, in a free world I chose drive my SUV! It's okay I can afford it! But we are the best if we protect or living room from damage!

Well, I do understand that perspective. The problem is though that leaves it pretty good for the few that enjoy it, it ends up leading to a very poor ending for everyone.

The whole point of freedom is NOT we get to do what we want whenever we want it, but instead we get to to do what we want whenever we want it WITHOUT infringing on the rights and needs of others. I think most would agree with this, particularly if say, someone next door decided to dig up their yard - and ours - to build themselves a bigger garage onto our property, simply because it made their life more pleasant..

Freedom does allow us to enjoy the reefs of the world or even SUV's (i happen to own one myself). But it does NOT allow us to act this way to the detriment of others. And in the modern world, every action or purchase we make will have consequences - both positive and negative - for the environment. But paying attention to our NET impact is what is important, so that we can at least preserve for others what was given to us..

And to say that Half-DOme will eventually fall, well yes, that is true. But it does NOT mean we can be cavalier and not responsible for our actions. Else we might say hit-and-runs are NOT crimes, because that person was going to die eventually anyways..

I don't know how a diver can venture down under the ocean and not be impressed by its incredable beauty, and not want to keep it intact and protect and preserve it as best we can as a steward of the sea. I agree some don't care they just take from the environment and seldom give anything back in return, as if it owed them something....these types of indivisuals are not what i would call an ideal dive buddy. But true divers those of us who regard this as a freedom and want to preserve the corals. marine life , and all of Gods creatures certainly want to help all we can to presevre it for future generations to come.
Guess i never considered myself to be a full blown environmentals, but i do speak to kids on behalf of the Oceans for youth foundation about our environment so guess i am in that regard. I think we can all help even a little bit, if we just tell other non divers as well as divers about our concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom