Are Divers ENVIRONMENTALISTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott, I'm interested in how many people are taking these fish ID classes, not just that they are offered. I've found so many divers (including instructors, and on occasion myself!) who really don't know what they're looking at. If they care to change that, great... let's offer more post-certification education.

BarryNL... unfortunately you may be right regarding the ultimate direction we are taking with respect to the environment. I believe in the words of Gary Snyder (from Earth Household back in 1969 I believe, but maybe it was the environmental manifesto, Four Changes): "Knowing that nothing need be done is where we begin to work (move?) from."

Bill I know our local shop has done it a twice in the last couple of years. I have know idea how many people attend as I do not dive Socal. One dive op I used in Bali had a class and a dive they offered and in Lembeh that offered the same thing and if I remember there were about 4 people signed up. When I was diving in Wakatobi, Paul (knew scientific and common names) was from Minnesota taught classes in Photo and Fish ID. I would assume you could get a few more people to sign up if you could do a combo photo (with the use of software) and fish ID class.

Scott, I'm interested in how many people are taking these fish ID classes, not just that they are offered. I've found so many divers (including instructors, and on occasion myself!) who really don't know what they're looking at. If they care to change that, great... let's offer more post-certification education.

BarryNL... unfortunately you may be right regarding the ultimate direction we are taking with respect to the environment. I believe in the words of Gary Snyder (from Earth Household back in 1969 I believe, but maybe it was the environmental manifesto, Four Changes): "Knowing that nothing need be done is where we begin to work (move?) from."

We did a fish ID and conservation class in Cairns OZ. There were about 20+ people and a class every night Mon-Fri.

One might come to the conclusion that the poster is a low paid unskilled worker griping about the more wealthy?.

Are you putting that in the form of a question to be smart?

The evidence is all around us. Construction along the yucatan peninsula is exploding - the highway is being widened, and there's dozens of new resorts popping up along the shoreline.

There was an interesting documentary, a couple of years old now, no doubt, which mentions that there are resorts being built on-top of caves in some areas and that they've actually managed to knock the pillars right through the cave ceilings, and now there are pillars for resort structures in the middle of cave passages - this doesn't strike me as being conducive to environmental preservation.

The same people who are diving at the resorts are the ones renting the jeeps to drive to road accessible cenotes for tours - who given the choice, would probably still rent a jeep because they are fun to drive.

I was guilty of it myself - I was snorkeling, and I was wearing non-bio-degradable suntan lotion. The tour guide told us en-route on the catamaran that this was strictly prohibited - but that we all should know that already because we read the rules when entering the park.

Of the 40 people on the cat, about half of them all exchanged guilty looks I would say - most not even bothering to wipe the lotion off before hopping into the water. So this cat goes out 3 times a day, every day of the week, for nearly the entire year with a full load.

Are you putting that in the form of a question to be smart?

The evidence is all around us. Construction along the yucatan peninsula is exploding - the highway is being widened, and there's dozens of new resorts popping up along the shoreline.

There was an interesting documentary, a couple of years old now, no doubt, which mentions that there are resorts being built on-top of caves in some areas and that they've actually managed to knock the pillars right through the cave ceilings, and now there are pillars for resort structures in the middle of cave passages - this doesn't strike me as being conducive to environmental preservation.

The same people who are diving at the resorts are the ones renting the jeeps to drive to road accessible cenotes for tours - who given the choice, would probably still rent a jeep because they are fun to drive.

I was guilty of it myself - I was snorkeling, and I was wearing non-bio-degradable suntan lotion. The tour guide told us en-route on the catamaran that this was strictly prohibited - but that we all should know that already because we read the rules when entering the park.

Of the 40 people on the cat, about half of them all exchanged guilty looks I would say - most not even bothering to wipe the lotion off before hopping into the water. So this cat goes out 3 times a day, every day of the week, for nearly the entire year with a full load.

I was pointing out that you said
the overwhelming conclusion I have come to

So I came to a conclusion about you. With as much proof as you have, see how easy it is.

I know a lot of people that could be classified as fiscally endowed that work/contribute to environmental institutes.
As I said you paint with a very broad brush.

My view of the are divers environmentalists question:

I would not classify myself as one, but that is because of the way I perceive the term environmentalist. Anyone who considers themself one may define the word differently and I can accept that, but when I hear the word I take it as someone who puts issues of the environment above all else regardless of their true impact or cost. In other words does not consider the overall situation or all the variables.

On the other hand I do not ever see a reason to waste or damage and destroy the environment off handedly. I'm that crazy dad that runs around the house turning the lights off that the kids leave on, etc. I recycle and after changing my oil take it to a recycle center, take paint and cell phone batteries to appropriate places etc. I love the outdoors and now that I have begun diving I am developing a love of the underwaters. Just as when I hunt or fish I will do so with an eye toward ensuring that my kids can do the same.

Back
Top Bottom