Are Groupers Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange coincidence, I was just told by someone that a lot of divers are wary of big groupers like Goliaths, since they're 1) huge and 2) very aggressive predators on the reefs. No idea how true that is, but the ones I've seen in aquariums are enormous enough for me to keep my distance.

Seem to recall an incident a few years ago when a spearfisherman got a grouper but the thing was so strong it pulled him and trapped him for long enough for him to drown.

That's not the grouper being dangerous though - its nature fighting back and poetic justice.

Not heard of a single other incident of anyone being hurt by one.

If I recall, the grouper (having been speared illegally) tangled the diver up in the line and and he drowned. Karma, Nah?

Strange coincidence, I was just told by someone that a lot of divers are wary of big groupers like Goliaths, since they're 1) huge

When you go into a swim through when your instructor goes first and waves you through (the agreement topside was he was going to check for nasties first) it is a bit of a shock to realize there is a 5ft beast 1 foot away from you.

In my experience, I have found them to be the friendliest of all. Are you sure your not talking about groupies?

This is a 300lb grouper in Key Largo

Bruce

Attachments

• M0011480.jpg
    M0011480.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 377
Depends.........on how you feed them and how much time you spend with them....Here's a picture I took of our son feeding one of his 'pets' on Roatan----took him a long time(months) to get this one used to him....
Scan_4_edited-1.jpg

Here's some video Tim shot of our dive on the Doc de Mille 4th of July weekend. About 5:30 into the video, you'll see a large goliath stalking Scott as he follows me around the base of the wreck. I think he wanted a taste of Scott's fin! :)

The Doc de Mille on Vimeo

This poor thing....dangerous? It's so......innocent though.

Attachments

• Spotted_Grouper.jpg
    Spotted_Grouper.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 367
I think we've seen that 300 pound grouper in Key Largo. And his two rather large friends. I was in awe and the two smaller ones seemed to really like my husband! I couldn't blame them a bit. I'm not afraid of them, but never get very close to anything big underwater! Sharks spook me, but groupers are cool. When we dive with BlueWater Divers of Key Largo, we usually get to see big groupers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom