Are Hoseless Wrist Computer good or safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using my spanking new VT Pro this weekend with no problems. I'll keep you posted. I had held out for a while, since I'd heard about all kinds of problems with strobes, etc., but I haven't heard of a lot of incidents with the newer hoseless computers. If you are checking your pressure from time to time, and you are diving in open water (no overhead obstruction) a failure between the transmitter and the wrist unit isn't that big a deal, since you should have a decent idea how much pressure you have left, given your SAC and a rough idea of the time since you last checked it. You're done for the day unless you brought an SPG to add to your reg, but you won't be in any danger. If you can afford a hoseless, you can probably just spring for a compact SPG as well. I carry a Mares mission compact on the other HP port of my reg (no more than $100 - Dacor/Scubapro makes one too). I may remove it at some point, but I'll keep it in my bag with a scuba tool just in case.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
If they where not good and safe do you think they would be so popular in the industry ?

Because most of the divers who use them want to play underwater tourist by descending and diving until the funny little toy on their wrist starts beeping to let them know that its time to go?

I've seen a couple of problems with hoseless units near large metal wrecks. Specifically, they lost signal and didn't regain it until the diver cleared the wreck.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Because most of the divers who use them want to play underwater tourist by descending and diving until the funny little toy on their wrist starts beeping to let them know that its time to go?
Sad but true, I Advocate and always use a second source of Depth and Time as well as Backup tables on all dives below 100ft

I've seen a couple of problems with hoseless units near large metal wrecks. Specifically, they lost signal and didn't regain it until the diver cleared the wreck.
Never had any problems with mine ?
I dive many large Wrecks at depths of 180-200Ft
Also never had any problems with Flashes on Cameras.

Uwatec AirX Nitrox
Uwatex AirZ o2

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

Never had any problems with mine ?
I dive many large Wrecks at depths of 180-200Ft
Also never had any problems with Flashes on Cameras.

I've only seen it twice. I don't know why it happened as it didn't happen to me.

Back
Top Bottom