Intercommunication between dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtnbikur

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This question has been moved from a thread in Accidents and Incidents
I have a couple questions as a very new rec diver. Someone asked about computers and did he have a HUD and it got me thinking.

1. Are these CCR computers wireless like the air-integrated transmitters/wrist computers?
2. If so, can they transmit to multiple computers?
3. Has any industry or group considered 'cross-threading' transmitters/computers?

Diver 1 has a transmitter that broadcasts to two computers, one computer worn by Diver 1 and one worn by Diver 2. And vice-versa.

Diver 1 experiences an elevated PPO2 level. Diver 2's computer is alerted to that rising PPO2 or other indicator that might allow him to check on Diver 1 if Diver 1 is already feeling the affects of narcosis or oxygen toxicity.

1. Are these CCR computers wireless like the air-integrated transmitters/wrist computers?
No. All CCR computers* are hardwired. I'm not aware of any CCR computers that have data-sharing capabilities.

* EDIT: That I know of.

However, it's possible on some units (e.g., a Choptima) to mount the HUD in a position that it's displaying PPO2 info to another diver. That's how my instructor monitored me during my certification course.

Diver 1 has a transmitter that broadcasts to two computers, one computer worn by Diver 1 and one worn by Diver 2. And vice-versa.

Transmitters have extremely short range underwater, except for the sonar based Garmin transmitters. But those pay for that range with much shorter battery life compared to PPS transmitters and an audible noise.

I have a couple questions as a very new rec diver. Someone asked about computers and did he have a HUD and it got me thinking.

3. Has any industry or group considered 'cross-threading' transmitters/computers?

Diver 1 experiences an elevated PPO2 level. Diver 2's computer is alerted to that rising PPO2 or other indicator that might allow him to check on Diver 1 if Diver 1 is already feeling the affects of narcosis or oxygen toxicity.
I have not seen a wireless one.

You can read about the Shearwater divecan protocol What is DiveCAN® and why should I care? - Shearwater Research

It won’t do what you described though

When diving a CCR without the exhale bubbles you can hear really well.

An audio alert if a computer is in the red would likely be heard by a buddy. Unfortunately many of the Shearwaters controllers don't have vibrate or audio. The newest ones do, unfortunately a reallllly expensive (but easy if Canbus) computer swap. No idea why they skipped it, maybe patents?

Off topic, but the Rhino HUD of Oxygen Scoentific would disagree with you.

IS that a CCR computer? I googled it and can't find info on it. The term HUD suggests (to ME) that it is not, in fact, a computer (in the sense implied by the person you quoted).

Is it actually available for sale anywhere?

Really? That's cool. Do you know of any wireless controllers?

As much as I love my AI transmitters, even I would not use a wireless controller for my CCR.

If I lose my SPG, the worst consequence is that my dive turns early. Losing my SPG is not an emergency.

If I lose my controller, that means I've lost my abillity to control my solenoid and lost my readout of my pO2. And lost the ability for that computer to accurately calculate my ascent plan. That is a MUCH bigger deal than just losing the display of my cylinder pressures.

AFAIK, all rebreather computers are hardwired and do not transmit information wirelessly. At least, I've never seen one and I've seen a number of different units.

Some rebreathers do have a HUD that a buddy can quickly see and that displays red/green status for the PO2 in the loop.

- brett

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see all the other replies on a new "page" before I wrote mine. I was pretty surprised by that -- I should have known better. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom