Are Liveaboards profitable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to the deck hand on a Blackbeards boat some years ago. He was claiming to make $600 per month. He worked 24/7.

BUT, he was single, loved the water and very happy to be doing what he was doing. There was free room and board, a very relaxed dress code, the boat was very laid back and he had all the diving he wanted.

When he got tired of the lifestyle, someone was waiting in the wings to take his place.:boom:

$600 a month???
free room and board???
I'm there, where do I sign up

If Liveaboards aren't profitable why are there so many of them?
The quality of diving from a liveaboard, and the 'cost per dive' equation, can't be beaten with shore based diving. Of course, night life is non-existent. The Dancer Fleet is a single company. The Aggressor Fleet is a franchise arrangement. There are a great number of excellent independent operators as well (and some bad ones). In my experience - and I've been on plenty of them from the Solomons, across the Pacific and Caribbean Sea, over to the Red Sea - they pay the crew very little (other than the Captain). Tips, Tips, Tips, is what the crew is told to work for. Without a doubt the Dancer Fleet is the most aggressive asking for tips. I've been on 5 Dancers (Sea, Wave, Wind, Sun, & Sun II) EVERY ONE of the Dancer Boats told you, in writing, on the dive briefing board, what they EXPECTED from you for a tip. NO OTHER liveaboard that I have been on has ever done this.

You should have wrote up a letter telling them what YOU expect from the trip for them to get the tip. That would be funny....

The Dancer Fleet ALWAYS posts on the dive briefing board that 10% of your total trip price is their "usual" gratuity. (Imagine tipping the boat crew on the airline portion of your trip?) I have been on 5 Dancers and they have never failed to post this notice.
I have been on boats where I have tipped NOTHING because of poor service (Wind Dancer). The captain was fully aware of the reasons for my discontent. I did exchange letters with Peter Hughes personally. Since the Wind Dancer episode, I have not set foot aboard a Dancer Boat. But I continue to dive and love liveaboards. There are some great ones. I can't help myself :eek:ut:

I worked on the Wind Dancer and we never asked or discussed tips with the customers. I hope I was not on the boat when you did not tip! The boat is "was" at times under staffed and caused service problems, and if anyone thinks liveaboard work is all fun and games, think again.

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
If Liveaboards aren't profitable why are there so many of them?
The quality of diving from a liveaboard, and the 'cost per dive' equation, can't be beaten with shore based diving. Of course, night life is non-existent. The Dancer Fleet is a single company. The Aggressor Fleet is a franchise arrangement. There are a great number of excellent independent operators as well (and some bad ones). In my experience - and I've been on plenty of them from the Solomons, across the Pacific and Caribbean Sea, over to the Red Sea - they pay the crew very little (other than the Captain). Tips, Tips, Tips, is what the crew is told to work for. Without a doubt the Dancer Fleet is the most aggressive asking for tips. I've been on 5 Dancers (Sea, Wave, Wind, Sun, & Sun II) EVERY ONE of the Dancer Boats told you, in writing, on the dive briefing board, what they EXPECTED from you for a tip. NO OTHER liveaboard that I have been on has ever done this.

I dove the Truk Aggressor 2 in March 2003 and they had a card in every stateroom that outlined what was "customary" based on good service (I think it was 10%). The services provided were outstanding and I tipped nearly 15%.

Back
Top Bottom