Are pst valve o-rings oxygen ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsm

New
Reaction score
hello to everybody,
I am new to this board.
My name is Guillaume and I live in New Richmond, Québec, Canada.
New Richmond is situated in the Gaspé peninsula in the heart of the Baie-des-Chaleurs.
I am an active CMAS and Padi assistant instructor.

I have a question for you:
are pst valve o-rings oxygen ready?

New E-Series come oxygen-ready from the factory.

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST.HTML

Though your shop still going to need to slap appropriate stickers on the thank. Many shops will still charge you a full price as if they actually prepared the cylinders for the oxygen service.

The valves that ship with PST cylinders are Thermo. Read the info about them very carefully. They do not say that they are oxygen ready. They are nitrox ready. The orings are EPDM, which is a safe material for O2 use, but Thermo has decided to take a CYA approach, and not state that the valve is O2 ready. The best way to make sure that it is O2 clean, is to clean it yourself...

LUBOLD8431:
The valves that ship with PST cylinders are Thermo. Read the info about them very carefully. They do not say that they are oxygen ready. They are nitrox ready. The orings are EPDM, which is a safe material for O2 use, but Thermo has decided to take a CYA approach, and not state that the valve is O2 ready. The best way to make sure that it is O2 clean, is to clean it yourself...
Yes but even when cleaned they still can not be used for oxygen service.

You should also read
http://www.thermovalves.com/oxygen_enriched_air.htm

Like I said, I think its a CYA thing. I wonder how many Thermo valves are being used for high percentages of oxygen and for in tank partial pressure blending (I would imagine its a high figure). The fact is people are using these valves for O2 use.

Lemonade:
New E-Series come oxygen-ready from the factory.

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST.HTML

Though your shop still going to need to slap appropriate stickers on the thank. Many shops will still charge you a full price as if they actually prepared the cylinders for the oxygen service.

E series are Notrix ready, not oxygen ready. Vyton O rings are what you need if you are going way of O2. Any credible gas blender will more then likely insist on O2 cleaning the tanks and O rings before first fill anyway. At least that's what happens in my LDS (which happens to be my habits with all my own equipment that touches O2).

Henry

LUBOLD8431:
Like I said, I think its a CYA thing. I wonder how many Thermo valves are being used for high percentages of oxygen and for in tank partial pressure blending (I would imagine its a high figure). The fact is people are using these valves for O2 use.

My personal opinion is thet Thermo Valves turn "on" too quickly, a little turn and they are totally unrestricted. This isnt a bad thing when filling the cylinders since the gas should be regulated from the source but ther is a POTENTIAL for allowing reg to pressurize too quickly. Used correctly you probably wount have any issues, but there are alot of careless divers out there who never pay any attention on how fast they open the valve.

and now that its thermo's official policy not to support oxygen mixtures or filling cylinders/valves that are not kept oxygen clean, if there is a problem the LDS that filled the cylinder is SOL if they get sued.

Oxygen can be dangerous and there are plenty of accidents in other industries that deal with oxygen, luckily many problems are avoided because most industrial eqpt is mad out of brass and the pressures are kept lower than the scuba industry.

LUBOLD8431:

Hummm....I don't ever recall my LDS mentioning they rebuilt the valves on my new E-7's to O2 specs...and they mix my nitrox using in tank partial pressure blending. :11:

RiverRat:
Hummm....I don't ever recall my LDS mentioning they rebuilt the valves on my new E-7's to O2 specs...and they mix my nitrox using in tank partial pressure blending. :11:

Exactly...
Thanks for proving my point...

Dont get me wrong, I know the dangers of O2. I am suprised that we dont hear about more valves or cylinders exploding or flashing from O2.

Back
Top Bottom