Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first thing myself and other instructors i know tell students is do NOT put complete faith in me or anyone else.

.........Putting "complete faith" in someone means turning off your thinking brain. I wouldn't expect ANYONE to put complete faith in ANYONE or ANYTHING......

This a point we likely all agree on. I definitely do not think anybody is arguing against this (that I recall anyways).

I can seen clearly now that I need to invest in a sausage for diving in areas like Cozumel where the DM's "sometimes" may take groups towards unexpected (not covered in the briefing) swim throughs that spit you out somewhere else. At least that way if it happens to me, I can hold back and know that I've got my sausage to tell the boat operator where I'm at once I re-surface (I'm visualizing a drift dive, for example).

Now, keep in mind that I'm new still, so I'm routinely bouncing questions off of a co-worker of mine that is looking forward to diving with me as a regular dive buddy (we're good friends too). I asked him the other day what his normal dive depths are on these trips he takes to Cozumel, the Great Barrier Reef, etc. He replied, "Really, you just follow the group." Oh...........my. This isn't the first time he's surprised me with an off-the-wall comment like that, and more often that not his ansers contradict a lot of the training I received from PADI. He has been diving for 20+ years but only does so maybe 3 or 5 times per year. We are either going to have to re-visit some basic diving guidelines for diving as buddies, or he's going to quickly tire of me being so safety minded, lol!

Well Durf, I applaud you for planning on your coming purchase. I believe that no diver should be without a Safety Sausage and an SMB (at the very least a safety sausage).

As for your coworker, if they are a good buddy and are also safety conscious, they will have no problem diving "at your pace". The beauty of diving safely.....you get to dive again :D

I bought a dive alert (thanks kidsdreams!) for my upcoming trip to Cozumel. I already have (had) a safety sausage. I have big dreams of getting an SMB (was not aware of the difference when I bought the SS).

I bought a dive alert (thanks kidsdreams!) for my upcoming trip to Cozumel. I already have (had) a safety sausage. I have big dreams of getting an SMB (was not aware of the difference when I bought the SS).

I bought a SS before I knew as well. But, because it seals, it would be easier on the surface. I then bought a good SMB (weighted flap bottom with pressure relief valve) from Udo Hardig here on the board. Not cheap but I think it is a good product (guess I will see when I actually get to practice with it).

www.surfacemarker.com if you want to check them out.

I can seen clearly now that I need to invest in a sausage for diving in areas like Cozumel

I bought a SS before I knew as well. But, because it seals, it would be easier on the surface. I then bought a good SMB (weighted flap bottom with pressure relief valve) from Udo Hardig here on the board. Not cheap but I think it is a good product (guess I will see when I actually get to practice with it).

www.surfacemarker.com if you want to check them out.

In case you haven't gotten proficient with them yet, try and get some solid practice deploying them. They can be a handful tieing off, inflating and making sure you don't get tangled up in the line.
Also learning how much air to put in them to avoid the dreaded "limp sausage".

If you can't practice then at least be aware of the potential dangers when first trying them out, especially on a fast drift in a place like Cozumel. The accident report String posted a few days ago is an eye opener...:depressed:

If you can't practice then at least be aware of the potential dangers when first trying them out, especially on a fast drift in a place like Cozumel. The accident report String posted a few days ago is an eye opener...:depressed:

Got a link?

Terry

In case you haven't gotten proficient with them yet, try and get some solid practice deploying them. They can be a handful tieing off, inflating and making sure you don't get tangled up in the line.
Also learning how much air to put in them to avoid the dreaded "limp sausage".

Good point.

I had planned to practice some later this month - but my buddy cancelled on me, so I dunno if I will get to go diving before my trip or not. We'll see I guess.

Good point.

I had planned to practice some later this month - but my buddy cancelled on me, so I dunno if I will get to go diving before my trip or not. We'll see I guess.

Can you practice in a pool? Maybe it is just me, but I really sucked at sending up an SMB when I first tried. I got very tangled :blush: The next few attempts resulted in the dreaded 'limp sausage'. (My buddy on the other hand has never had an issue sending up an SMB). I practiced in about 3m of water under a pier and whilst it only took a few attempts before I was fine with it, the first time I had to do it for real in the ocean it was midwater in a current and if I hadn't had the practice beforehand it would have been a bit of a CF.

So I wouldn't think it is something to try out for the first time on a trip you bought it for. My 2c.

Back
Top Bottom