Are the lobster still around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humpinit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I think I am going to brave the cooler temps on Sunday and hit some of my lob spots. My question is, are they still hanging out in shallower waters? If they are still in shallow water around Pennecamp or Molasses, then they should still be at my spots too. I don't normally lobster in the winter but since I am recently certified I am anxious to get in the water.

Humpinit

I will like to tag along this one I will like to go for lobster to lol I just need a good spot I have the boat if some one want to come with me and have a good hole

I will like to tag along this one I will like to go for lobster to lol I just need a good spot I have the boat if some one want to come with me and have a good hole

Unfortunatley I can not help you there. It takes many years and many boat trips to find honey holes. The good news is that they are everywhere and still many undiscovered. All I can tell you is to use your boat as much as possible and scout and log your spots on a GPS.
the best way is to study charts, look for color change in the shallows, and drag drag drag and then drag some more to find your spots.

One of my honey holes is in 6 ft of water and is a shore dive.....I find them there all season long.

I will like to go tomorrow morning out of haulover inlet can some one share one spot pm me

i want to get one of those boards you drag the diver in the water to see spots

All you need is dock line with loop in one end for a hand hold.

Like tomfcrist said. I have spots in 40' and spots in 6' and even less come to think of it. Some spots are so shallow the your fins are half in the water and half out of the water. You can't kick down. Lol

Okay, the lobster are still in shallow water. I dove in with a shorty 3mm today and spent a tank in shallow water (15' max). No problem, no chill. Probably saw 200 lobs. Was only able to find a few keepers though. I wonder if the bigger bugs are in deeper water.
We fished the reef in 80' and the viz was superman. Beautiful day on the water!

dove in the molasses SPA today, plenty of lobster in 50-100ft! going out freediving for bugs tomorrow in shallow water 8-15FT off key largo. i'll report here tomorrow. by the way, the commercial spiny lobsterman are having a great yr so far in the upper keys. historically high prices; Chinese buyers are shipping the spinys live to CHINA,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom