Are you a garbage collector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my most recent dive (Blue Heron Bridge, Florida) I picked up some wads of fishing line and hooks while I was diving and carried them around in my thigh pocket for later disposal. I left a corroding duracell battery, though, because I had nothing to put it in that wouldn't contaminate my gear and while I want to help clean up clearly corroded batteries can be seriously nasty to handle.

I wish I had a plastic baggie or something I could have put the battery in but I'm not sure it would have helped.

Anyway, how much do you collect/clean as you're diving and what do you "leave for more prepared cleaners" like the battery I mentioned above? Do you carry anything special for cleaning up on routine dives or just on "clean up days"?

If a battery is obviously corroded (bulging, split open, etc), I'll put it in my pocket. These small disposable batteries have a small amount of caustic soda inside. Once submersed in sea water, the corrosive material is leached out and the contents become the same pH as the surrounding sea water.

I retrieve fishing line, plastic bags, nylon rope, lost anchors, and occasionally beach and deck furniture.

I mainly collect plastic bags, they appear to be prolific around UAE above and below the water.

Bottles and cans tend to provide artificial habitats and I leave them well alone

IMG0013-4sig_zpsa75e6f85.jpg

Depends on where I am. If I'm diving near a popular beach or a pier and the bottom is like a garbage dump, then no, I'll leave it. If I'm in a more pristine area I'll try to pack out anything I find. Once, near a yacht club, a pier and just off a popular beach, I did find a gas BBQ (without tank) that I hauled up.

Best haul I ever got was after a snorkle up next to town dock in Bonaire right after new years. Came back with 2 hands full of beer bottles, a wine bottle, and a whole lot of fireworks debris. I went snorkling with friends, and got bored following the tour operator....

I generally collect any uninhabited trash I find especially fishing line and hooks/lures. I have a mesh bag stuffed in a pocket for this. Once in while I get something I can clean up and use - fine line between litter pickup and treasure hunting.

Back
Top Bottom