Are you a vegetarian?

Are you a vegetarian?

• Fish in the sea, not on a plate. Cow's in a field, not in a burger. I'm a veggie/vegan

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Don't eat meat but eat fish

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • I eat the insides of an animal to please my palate

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Best place for fish is at the end of my speargun

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Don't eat fish but eat meat

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, OK, OK! So, if I'm against fishing how come I'm not opposed to TROLLing? Apparently you guys took the bait (pun intended). My last post was in response to someone's question of why String was glad spearfishing is illegal where he lives. How should I know? I just offered my over-the-top emotional exposition to get the conversation going again. I guess it worked.

Yep... guess you 'out clevered us'...

The point is, whatever choice I make, I'd rather it be based on knowledge instead of ignorance, and I think most people today are pretty ignorant about their food.

You are absolutely right about that. But that includes vegans and organic only eaters as well. The only way to bring the food industry down to a sustainable level is if we start eating the slow people first. The population is just too big.

I guess, just eat what you like, for the reasons you like it. Try and lobby the government on things you are passionate about in order to effect a positive change. Being sanctamonious about it builds walls, not bridges.

Personally, I eat organic when it tastes better and cost is reasonable. I eat mostly from sustainable fisheries. I try to buy only ethically harvested meats. I lie to myself when I can't verify that. I stopped hunting and fishing because I no longer derive joy from killing things. I won't stop eating though, that's just suicide.

I am constantly trying to reduce the amount of meat in my diet for health reasons. I will never eliminate it for the very same reasons.

Plus the fact that meat is neat, and too darn tasty to be forgotten. I would rather give up chocolate that a nice juicy steak...YMMV

I have to eat protein every four hours or I start to get a bit irritable. I dont think my body or my mind would handle being a veg.
I believe in farming and harvesting responsibly. Commercial fishing is not sustainable at the rate we are going. Hopefully that changes.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I respect their choice.
The turkey I ate last night was a vegetarian, and look where it got her. The part of the cow I will eat for lunch also was a vegetarian and look where it got him.
I do agree it may not be all that cool to see the fish you were diving with earlier on the menu. The first Cowfish I ever saw was in a market. There were other fish at that market that you would see in a big aquarium. My early diving days i had seen a 'rock' moving on the bottom, as I got closer, I noticed it was a tight school of striped catfish. The next day, my wife purchased a bucket of fish from a local fisherman, in that bucket was a lot of striped catfish, along with other 'aquarium' fish. She enjoyed them at lunch.

OOPS, just jumped in... hopefully not too late and not to start a new line of parallel discussion...

First, I think the thing with the spear, and the first post by someone being glad it was illegal, has something to do with going underwater and some speargunner mistaking you for a fish, especially in poor vis environments (this is always a threat where I dive, since there are spearhunters diving at the same spots we go scubadiving and vis is usually under 10 feet). Next, in my country there are places - and a lot of them, actually - where the real issue is TO HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT. So, in that situation, I think the veggie x meat eater thing is kind of out of the main point.

On the other hand, and sticking to the original question, it is kind of weird to see all those beautiful living creatures underwater and having them as a snack while in SI... I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't believe I would eat any of it, not at that time, at least...

I eat meat, and I'd eat basically anything short of cannibalism (or veal, but thats more of an animal rights thing, and I wouldn't eat my own dog or snakes :cool2:)

I don't buy the "only animals feel pain!" stuff either, that mentality is kingdom-ist!

Oh, funny story about the veggies; I go to school in Santa Cruz (tie-dye central) and in a biology lecture, the professor noted that most of the carcinogens we ingest come from plants, as it is the plants' main defense. Well, the collective tension and worry that rose up from the hundreds of vegetarians in the hall was delicious. You could almost hear their thoughts screaming, "Say it ain't so! The plants love us, and they are purifying our Green bodies! We are in harmony with them!! My life is SHATTERED!" :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom