Are you an annoying diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one confuses me as well. As another new diver who hasn't seen seen the likes of even one manta ray, based on your opinion, I should say nothing at all?

Not a word, dude. You can't share any experiences until your 200th dive.

Actually, I get a real kick out of listening to newer (I'm still new only diving since 94, compared to many) diver share their experiences with all the excitement.
Sometimes it's nice to be reminded of why I got into diving too.

That is the wonderful thing about being an instructor...I get to introduce new dive students to my world...and I love to hear their stories after each dive...and just smile!:D

I think that this thread should be titled "Am I an easily annoyed diver?"

:hm: the first part is something like "never mind", but I don't get the "crup" thing. :idk:

Probably a corrupted krap, the phrasing meaning it's alright or nevermind. A polite answer phrase if someone apologises to you.

Mai pen rai crup, prounced my pen lie cup, is a term that covers lots of stuff. Thus the sentence "There were a lot of mai pen rais in that project." It is akin to Keine schweiss in German, walang pawis in Tagalog, or sans sueur in French. My connotation was that a simple shrug of the shoulders and a mai pen rai crup! Would have negated most of the OP's rants.

The phrase literally means "No sweat." Crup is a phrase added to imply politeness. Since I am a male I said crup. If I had been a female I would have said ka. The masculine phrase is pronounced cup. Thus the humor in the pun that people from southern Thailand are called Dixie Cups. To leave off crup or ka means that one takes away politeness or is downright rude.

All is not as it seems on the surface. I don't know how it is spelled but the word that is pronounced sir means stupid in Thai. So if after your rant someone says "Yes SIR! I'll get on it right away SIR!" with an emphasis on the sir part he is not being complementary. Especially if he leaves off the crup.

Anyway - I hope this clears up my intentions - if not mai pen rai crup........

Until next time - Sa wat dee crup!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom