Are you an annoying diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Self-proclaimed Dive Legend

Conversations about diving when on a liveaboard or in a beach bar in the evening are pretty much unavoidable and, if you can't stand talking about diving, you should probably be doing something else. However there are different types of conversations. There are interesting chats about ground-breaking conservation movements or unusual encounters or discoveries. In other words, interesting tales contain an element of novelty. Sadly, there are many divers who mistake their own banal and unexceptional anecdotes for something of interest e.g. 'Yeah and then on one trip in Thailand I saw not 1 but 2. 2 really big manta rays!!'

This one confuses me as well. As another new diver who hasn't seen seen the likes of even one manta ray, based on your opinion, I should say nothing at all? I don't know anywhere near enough to go on and on about groundbreaking conservation and I apparently have no unusual discoveries or encounters worth mentioning.

So if I dont feel what i'm about to say is "ground breaking", I just need to keep my mouth shut? Hmmm After one post from you, i'm pretty sure nobody wants to talk to you anyway

Have you ever enjoyed a dive that involved a boat load of people? Judging by the criteria you have put forth, I can't imagine it. Since you obviously don't enjoy diving with others who may have the audacity to pee in their wetsuits, or talk of experiences you are not interested in, or have bodies that don't meet your criteria, it's a wonder that you go on dive boats at all? Let alone make it a career!

We understand that you have written your piece in order to help us all to not irritate you, but the reality is that on any given boat trip, there will be a large percent of fellow divers who haven't yet read this thread.

Perhaps you should have a 1/2 hour lecture with all on the dock before the boat leaves for the dive location, explaining your ideas of proper behavior to the other passengers, giving them a chance to decide if they want to conform, stay behind or leave you behind?

This could save you bundles on dive boat fee's and remove an irritation from your life that you really just don't need.

I hope this can be taken as constructive criticism and not malicious cause it might help to keep you from being thrown overboard.:no:

Last edited:
I just try to keep my mouth shut, plan my dive in my head. Maybe even do it there. I find it easy to filter conversations by listening to little tidbits. Some of those legends are fun to listen to. Some of the others are easy to tune out. The divers who are crashing into the reef are easy to avoid- just do deep wrecks in cold water or stay away from the herd and dive alone. As to the wetsuit urine issue that's an easy one as well. I just pee on the suits of those who complain about me peeing in mine before I splash. Makes it easier to hold mine in.

I do hope everyone realizes that this post is in the Humor, Games, Clips, Yarns and Tales forum.

You've got to be a little careful. Sometimes the six-two, balding guy with a white beard and opaline green eyes which can be either alluring or intimidating and the orange faced Doxa, really is the chap that Cussler based Dirk Pitt on ... other times he's just a retired boccie ball pro from Schenectady with good taste in watches.

Back
Top Bottom