• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am always open for a discussion on gun control. So why do you believe the government should take everybody's guns away? What do you think that would achieve.

It is sort of the same point there - I don't believe the Govt should take everyone's guns away, but equally I don't think you should have a private citizenry armed to the teeth. I have lived in countries where it is highly prudent to carry a gun and know how to use it - the US is not one of those countries. I fully appreciate that the US was a country born in conflict, and Americans are taught from the very first that their constitution says that they be armed to defend themselves, even against their own government is necessary. But I think that cultural heritage leads to a blindness to the true costs of gun proliferation. People say that they are happy to discuss these issues, but (on both sides) people really just want reaffirmation of their own views. I'll be astonished if this thread is any different.

Besides Rhone Man....how often do you see a POLL on ScubaBoard with all the right options? These are done on a whim typically and cannot be edited once posted.

Fair point. I am not exactly one to cast the first stone on that issue.

......People say that they are happy to discuss these issues, but (on both sides) people really just want reaffirmation of their own views. I'll be astonished if this thread is any different.

And this is a fair point as well. It does seem to be one of the "Hot-Button" topics....as with anything even remotely related to politics. If nothing else, I have my :popcorn: in case I get hungry and my :coke: in case the :popcorn: makes me thirsty :D

What I find people fail to realize is that gun CONTROL and gun REMOVAL is not the same thing..

Ooops.. I took the bait again.. GAH!! This goldfish memory must come from being above water for too long.

Thanks for the response. I will admit that I fall into the category of being raised to own guns and have been around them my whole life. I can agree with you that i cant understand why someone needs semi auto rifles but it is not my place to judge. I cant tell them they cant have there guns but then have all pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns. I dont think the government can or should try to take away our guns but could support a better form of registration.

It is sort of the same point there - I don't believe the Govt should take everyone's guns away, but equally I don't think you should have a private citizenry armed to the teeth. I have lived in countries where it is highly prudent to carry a gun and know how to use it - the US is not one of those countries. I fully appreciate that the US was a country born in conflict, and Americans are taught from the very first that their constitution says that they be armed to defend themselves, even against their own government is necessary. But I think that cultural heritage leads to a blindness to the true costs of gun proliferation. People say that they are happy to discuss these issues, but (on both sides) people really just want reaffirmation of their own views. I'll be astonished if this thread is any different.

Well, er, um, I decided not to start an argument.

Last edited:
Not exactly neutrally phrased is it?

I didn't see a "Guns are dangerous and shouldn't be kept by private citizens" or "Guns are dangerous and should only be issued in accordance with strict licensing requirements" options.

But if my experience of SB is anything to go by, anyone raising the gun issue is looking for a fight rather than a discussion.[/QUOTE]

Not true in this case. :shakehead:
Just curiousity sparked by comments on another thread, and if it was possible to adjust the poll to adopt your questions I would be happy to do so.

But then that is what the open forum portion of this is all about. All opinions are welcome

thats what happens when you spend ALL day on here . . . :depressed:
I would say that's pathetic, but I think I would be stating the obvious.

Ken

I would say that's pathetic, but I think I would be stating the obvious.

Ken

you calling me pathetic, you gun nut :)

While I realize the whole topic of armed citizens, gun control etc is highly charged I felt it is still a discussion that invites opinion and debate.

I figured there are a few SB members here with strong opinions :popcorn:, and think everyone should be able to express that opinion.The scuba diving community is a rather vast and diverse group of people, from all over the earth, and I am curious to explore just how diverse we all are. I am quite interested in seeing just where the divide is within this community, as I know there are many members quite vocal and well able to deliver their thoughts.

I did try to make this an open forum for discussion of any and all thought on the subject.

Personally, I am sure it is apparent that I am of the camp: "a government that fears it's citizens is more apt to behave than one where the citizens fear their government", and yes, I believe that every person retains a basic right to protect themselves, their family and their property, that no government has the right to abridge. That is my opinion.

Having said that I still appreciate that there are other thoughts, and it is always a good idea to keep communication open to all sides of any issue. Even heavily charged ones!

Back
Top Bottom