• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never commented in this thread previously but to provide some interesting facts to the pro gun arguement (As I deal with alot of gun issues in my line of work) it is interesting that while the anti gun crowd cries fowl when a business allows employees to carry firearms it is interesting to note that far fewer gun stores and pawn shops are robbed then the larger businesses which forbid their employees to carry firearms while on the clock. An interesting note on this is criminals do want to get into a store rob a store and get out quickly. Most do not opt to be in a gun fight and will avoid them usually in favor of less defended targets.

This is merely an observation from my work and history of law enforcement and not intended to sway a decision either way.

I am not sure where I put the clipping my brother sent me years ago, but it was quite an illustrative story on firearms in a business. I hope I remember the details enough to get this correct.

A jewelery store owner was in his cellar of his business, when two armed robbers entered his store, and fired shots into the ceiling to force employees and customers to hit the floor. The store owner was blind to the actual events above him and feared the shots had been at either employees or his customers.

The Jeweler drew his sidearm, and climbed the stairs. At the door at the top of the cellar stairs he was still blind to what he would witness, but opened the door and stepped into the store, seeing two armed men standing over their victims, and both turning toward him. He shot both in the head, instantly killing both men. The local district attorney decided there was nothing to prosecute the store owner for.

Rumor has it his store is now known on the street as a poor target.

Not exactly neutrally phrased is it?

I didn't see a "Guns are dangerous and shouldn't be kept by private citizens" or "Guns are dangerous and should only be issued in accordance with strict licensing requirements" options.

But if my experience of SB is anything to go by, anyone raising the gun issue is looking for a fight rather than a discussion.

Choice of poll options demonstrates the difference between the populous American view and populous British view. :idk:

Choice of poll options demonstrates the difference between the populous American view and populous British view. :idk:

Sometimes it is difficult to grasp difference between British and American concepts of personal freedom, government responsibilities, police power, fire arm ownership, etc, as in many other ways the British and Americans are very similar.

One difference is our nation is still young enough to have some remaining public memory of the common man having to take up arms to resist an over reaching government. The idea of the individual standing in defiance of a dictatorial King, Parliament and their army, still has power within our citizenry, despite continuing efforts by politicians, leftists and Statists to convince the public that government is always their best friend and protector.

A strong public sentiment of the individual having both the right and the responsibility of standing up against the power of the government is not so much a part of the fabric of the British citizen, as it is here.

Back
Top Bottom