• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A loaded weapon pointed at the back of his head and this guy was able to move faster than you could pull the trigger?

Sure. In my opinion most robbers would have their finger off the trigger and would be dazed with the response of the victim. These are not clear thinking individuals for the most part...

Why would they have their finger off the trigger?

Because they are moving about with the activity of plundering the victim's possessions. A slight trip, etc. would discharge the firearm if pressure on the trigger is present. Any gun fire would greatly increase the possibility of capture. They are generally expecting a terrified reaction from the victim...

Because they are moving about with the activity of plundering the victim's possessions. A slight trip, etc. would discharge the firearm if pressure on the trigger is present. Any gun fire would greatly increase the possibility of capture. They are generally expecting a terrified reaction from the victim...

My experience is otherwise...many deaths or injuries during armed robberies occur as a result of an accidental discharge...

A loaded weapon pointed at the back of his head and this guy was able to move faster than you could pull the trigger?

On night one with this instructor, I was just as skeptical as you are. It did not take many "sessions" (and sprained fingers, horribly sore shoulders, elbos, ribs, etc) , before he began to convince me. Part of his training is psychological. An armed assailant that intends to shoot will seldom touch you with the gun, he'll shoot you, end of story. This instructor did not have a lot he could offer you, in such a scenario! :shakehead::shakehead:

BUT, when an assailant "pokes" a gun against your head, ribs, stomach, etc, he is doing it as a threat, and to control you, not kill you. He may change his mind and shoot, of course, but his first action has told you that at this point he is assuming that the presence of the firearm against your body, will give him complete control of you. Do nothing at this point to let him think otherwise, or you WILL be shot!

At this point you have to be very careful, but now you begin to have an opportunity to turn the tables, although as pointed out above, you would hate to get accidentally shot.

My instructor's first move now, was always to show fear, and compliance with the assailant, but also somewhere along the line one of his first moves in complying always had the effect of brushing that gun past his body, to avoid that first accidental shot, and then, instantly he accelerated to the point that I was disarmed, often facing my own weapon, and more often in quite a bit of pain. :shocked2:

It is hard to explain, you'd have to experience yourself. It's training, it's timing, it's effective

My experience is otherwise...many deaths or injuries during armed robberies occur as a result of an accidental discharge...

Agreed. I find it difficult to imagine criminals responsible enough to concern themselves with gun safety.

Either way I don't think there is anyone outside of the movies that can dodge bullets fired at the back of their head.

On night one with this instructor, I was just as skeptical as you are. It did not take many "sessions" (and sprained fingers, horribly sore shoulders, elbos, ribs, etc) , before he began to convince me. Part of his training is psychological. An armed assailant that intends to shoot will seldom touch you with the gun, he'll shoot you, end of story. This instructor did not have a lot he could offer you, in such a scenario! :shakehead::shakehead:

BUT, when an assailant "pokes" a gun against your head, ribs, stomach, etc, he is doing it as a threat, and to control you, not kill you. He may change his mind and shoot, of course, but his first action has told you that at this point he is assuming that the presence of the firearm against your body, will give him complete control of you. Do nothing at this point to let him think otherwise, or you WILL be shot!

At this point you have to be very careful, but now you begin to have an opportunity to turn the tables, although as pointed out above, you would hate to get accidentally shot.

My instructor's first move now, was always to show fear, and compliance with the assailant, but also somewhere along the line one of his first moves in complying always had the effect of brushing that gun past his body, to avoid that first accidental shot, and then, instantly he accelerated to the point that I was disarmed, often facing my own weapon, and more often in quite a bit of pain. :shocked2:

It is hard to explain, you'd have to experience yourself. It's training, it's timing, it's effective

That I can understand.

Here's the thing with the gun grabbing: very few people practice a martial arts form every single day, very few people have the discipline to do the kind of practice it takes to disarm another, and very few people have the speed to do so. Unless it is practiced any movement is predicted by a tensing of the body.

Regular people just get shot....

I have seen this done in practice, by bad guys, who have nothing to do in prison but practice disarming police officers over and over and over again, as well as practicing escaping search positions and submission holds.

When training others I would have someone who is faster and more practiced than me disarm recruits, then show them how to avoid having that happen.

The 21 foot distance with the knife as always a fun demo; I would measure 21 feet, then select a volunteer then tell them I was coming, then run and stab them with a rubber knife, over and over again...

This was done inside a room, with furniture, like a house.

I would then give the volunteer the opportunity to stab me...the difference was, when the volunteer stared to charge me I would kick a chair in their way and then shoot them....

Situational awareness is all....

As adurso, who has actual hands on experience indicates, criminals are not usually such caring, careful citizens, that they are cautious to avoid discharging their weapon.

I had several enlightening conversations with a ex convict who had served in San Q for just such types of armed robberies. His take was that to get his nerve up to begin the armed confrontation one of these men has mentally or chemically psyched himself up, to a razor's thin edge, and he is anything but rational. Move quite cautiously and show immediate compliance, letting him know he is in control. If you are to make a move against this man, it must take him completely off guard, and be instantly decisive.

Expecting that such a man will be approaching you with his finger off the trigger, is badly misreading the type of situation you are now in. Unless you really expect that he intends to kill you, or unless you know it is absolutely within your power and skill to completely take this hopped up wacko out, you are going to have a much better chance of surviving this confrontation if you do nothing but comply. His finger IS on the trigger, and at this very moment he is not right in the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom