Are you helpless without fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We build our boarding ladders out of a central pipe with alternating "rungs" going left and right. It is easy to climb, even with fins on. But out of force of many years of habit, fins go on my wrist.

Most do that everywhere. It's a bad habit.
In your opinion. It is an unlikely enough event (falling off the ladder) and not that big of a deal (and if it is I question diving that day at all) that the risk is more than acceptable.
What's the big deal? I've never fallen off the swim step or ladder and if I did, big deal, I just get back on. Having my fins flopping around my wrist while recovering from a ladder fall seems counterproductive but slipping them on makes people happy, cool.

Shore or beach diving, I clip them off on my BC.

We build our boarding ladders out of a central pipe with alternating "rungs" going left and right. It is easy to climb, even with fins on. But out of force of many years of habit, fins go on my wrist.
Fin ladders are not all that common on the boats here in SoCal but I did use them in Hawaii.

Some do that. I don't understand why anyone would actually do it.

Agreed....all of the professionally run boats I've ever been on request divers to drape fins over wrists so one's hands are free to grab ladders/railings...never give up your fins! Unless it's a dead/flat calm, no currents, perfect conditions...

Have you tried climbing a ladder with fins on. :wink:

All the time. That's cos the boats here all use:

boat-ladder-195058.jpg

Why don't all dive boats used these?

I never hand my fins up to the boat. If I am climbing a ladder my fins are on my wrists and if I am hauling myself into a RIB they are still on my feet.

...absolutely spot on! And I've never had a dive boat/op scold me for following those procedures....generally if you look like and conduct yourself like a professional/experienced diver, you'll not get any pushback when you do what I consider common sense procedures.

Helpless without fins? No. Can I swim very fast? No. Can I establish positive buoyancy without fins? Yes. I hold my own fins unless I know the DM/deckhand. Over my arm, just like climbing out of the water at the beach covered in logs and drift wood, when I need both hands.

On the thread where the lady died in Islamorada, there are two issues no one has mentioned here.

1. What if the diver wears full-foot warm water fins? This is common in the Keys. As a matter of fact, they give you rental full-foot fins at most FLA dive ops. How would one hold onto them while climbing a rung-and-rail style ladder in pitching 5-6 foot seas such as in the fatality thread to which the original post is referring here?

2. The lady who died in Islamorada was reportedly diving from a boat moored in 5-6 foot seas with only one crew member, the Captain, on board when divers were in the water.

I certainly hope the crew/dive operator briefed the divers that should they drift away from the boat on the surface and need to be picked up (in the conditions) it could take upwards of 30 minutes or more. They reportedly recalled the rest of the divers first. She was in trouble from the moment she was finless. If no one is going to leap in to help you, you better hope you have all your gear and some air left in the tank.

I wouldn't want to be without fins for 15-30+ minutes in 5-6 foot seas. If only to help me stay on my back and keep my face out of the water.

If I thought I was going to be in trouble I would ditch my weights. Dumping gear vs. my life in trouble? I've been in 5-6' seas, rollers, waiting for my turn to get picked up. Timing the dive ladder to get myself up (queen charlotte straight) In many cases I have been LAST to be picked up, waiting patiently with my smb deployed. Chill. Not finning, just floating. Finning isn't going to get my anywhere. Why didnt' she ditch? $5-$8 lb vs. my life.... worst case I'm out $240.

Cdolphin - briefing is key. That's where I would start investigating...

Then why all the posters saying they would "wrist" their fins until safely on board? I stand by the "keep your gear" theory.
We aren't trying to investigate the accident here, that's what A&I is for. Yes, ditch weights. Yes, listen to the briefing. And keep fins. IMHO. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom