Are you helpless without fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though the exact meaning is, I believe, to slow down to 5 knots? It has meaning outside of diving, anyway, so it is ambiguous.

It means 'I have a diver down, keep well clear at slow speed' I think. However, it is more a warning to other boats that the dive boat lacks maneuverability and is a warning about collusion rather than to protect divers specifically I believe.

I have to agree with most, as long as you have established positive buoyancy, if you should slip off, you will float and will have to make your way back to the boat, while it wouldn't be ideal, it wouldn't be impossible either. I have never been on a dive boat that I had to get back on, but I did have to climb a ladder at the pool in the deep end. I have a really hard time getting my fins off, so I establish positive buoyancy, rest for a second, then put my reg back in my mouth and usually fall forward while I try to get the darn things off, when I get one off it goes around my wrist, then I get the second one off and it goes around my wrist as well, then I "resurface" take out my reg and then make my way to the ladder. Works for me, might not work for others...

Though the exact meaning is, I believe, to slow down to 5 knots? It has meaning outside of diving, anyway, so it is ambiguous.

I think its official meaning is; Keep well clear at low speed : I have a diver down, (so keep well clear at low speed).

exactly what do the dive flags look like in Australia?

alpha-dive-flag1.jpg

Second pic has one.

Dunno if I'd call it 'prettier' Sas... but I do propose a change to make it clearer for a majority of the boaties out there.

Aussie_alpha-dive-flag1.jpg

:D

Dunno if I'd call it 'prettier' Sas... but I do propose a change to make it clearer for a majority of the boaties out there.

Haha I am sure that would be a popular idea...

Though that being said the only time I've been hit by a boat it was the dive boat and it had the flag up... I guess they couldn't see it though on the roof :wink:

for some reason as soon as i lose my fins at the boat i think I'm going to get eaten by a shark :crazyeye:

like somehow I'd have a hope if i had my V12's on :p

It means 'I have a diver down, keep well clear at slow speed' I think. However, it is more a warning to other boats that the dive boat lacks maneuverability and is a warning about collusion rather than to protect divers specifically I believe.

"Exactamundo", as we say in San Diego.

Alpha Dive Flag

Even with the open end or christmas tree ladders, I take off my fins in the water, espcially in rough seas. I do not want to be trying to take off my fins with standing on a bouncing boat.

The Alpha flag is not a dive flag. It means the vessel (and it is only flown from vessels) is conducting underwater operations and is restricted in its ability to maneuver. Those underwater operations may or may not include diving.

Helpless without fins in the water?

No. Why would I be helpless without fins in the water? My mobility may be hampered but I shouldn't be "helpless". I can ditch the gear and swim with just my hands and feet like I normally swim.

Even with the open end or christmas tree ladders, I take off my fins in the water, espcially in rough seas. I do not want to be trying to take off my fins with standing on a bouncing boat.
When do you put them on?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom