Are you still diving over there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am coming back to England for Christmas but because I need to finalise the process of getting my work visa at the US Embassy in London, I will be longer in England than I expected probably till the 6th/7th January. I will be partly in the London area (Herts) and partly up north (Gateshead). Is anyone still diving and should I bring my diving gear? I have got a few boat dives under my belt but mostly shore dives. Of course I have got a dry suit - diving in NY year round!!

Completely not relevant but we're still diving up in Scotland! Imagine there will still be loads of folk diving (or maybe we're just mad!).

Like dbulmer said, best to check out yorkshire divers - you'll get the info you need there!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Far_X,

do you have the same problem as me, two weeks of waiting after the "interview" for them to print a simple thing in your passport. I am doing the trip next year, maybe spring or autumn. Hopefully i will have my drysuit by then and can dive the Devon and Cornwall coast whilst visiting family!! I feel for you waiting on that visa, its a real pain.

Thanks for the redirection.

Simbrooks, yes. I have my interview for the 21st and they reckon 7 business days to return my passport. I still have not changed my return flight which is really 28th in the hope that I can persuade them to expedite it a bit :wink: If it wasn't for the fact that I go on vacation abroad at the end of January, I could have held off going back so soon. I am missing the dive club's christmas (sorry, holiday) party for this!! At least once this is done, I don't have to worry about it for another three years or until my passport expires in 2006!! :)

I have the same thing regarding my passport expiring in 2008, my recently renewed paper visa runs out in 2007, and i need to get a 1 year renewal, but dont know how to get about getting a new stamp in a new passport etc - i will deal with it in time, but its a concern. I should get my green card in 2008 as well (i hope). I have heard anything from 5-10 business days for return, i think you are cutting it a little close there with only 2 business days before xmas eve and nothing over that weekend. Might want to push that out a bit there buddy! :wink:

I heard that you can still carry your old passport, together with a new one, if it has a current and valid visa stamped in it. I am expecting to delay my return but my eldest sister is already flying to NY on the 28th and apparently staying at my apartment that night before spending a few nights in Manhattan when her friends fly over. As she goes back to England on the 2nd, will probably give her the spare keys to my car and apartment and tell her she can use it but make sure she leaves it back at the airport with the keys and parking ticket left inside :wink:

simbrooks:
I should get my green card in 2008 as well (i hope).

ha ha ha ha, yeah- I know that feeling. These wonderful work permit/ resident permits we have to endure... 8 years and counting.....at this rate my passport will expire at the same time I am due to get a greencard- that'll be fun.

Good luck with you visa far_x, at least you can leave the country- I am US restricted at the moment. Have a crimbo pint for me :beer_yum:

Far_X:
I heard that you can still carry your old passport, together with a new one, if it has a current and valid visa stamped in it. I am expecting to delay my return but my eldest sister is already flying to NY on the 28th and apparently staying at my apartment that night before spending a few nights in Manhattan when her friends fly over. As she goes back to England on the 2nd, will probably give her the spare keys to my car and apartment and tell her she can use it but make sure she leaves it back at the airport with the keys and parking ticket left inside :wink:
Sounds like a good plan to me, do you intend mailing off your passport to the UK to get a new passport in 2006 or making the trip and waiting for it? Make sure the parking ticket is on the inside and not stuck to the outside in a yellow envelope :wink:

Any news on you moving down this way yet? When i get my drysuit this winter i'll feel happier taking a trip back to blighty, just dont know quite when!

munkispank:
ha ha ha ha, yeah- I know that feeling. These wonderful work permit/ resident permits we have to endure... 8 years and counting.....at this rate my passport will expire at the same time I am due to get a greencard- that'll be fun.

Good luck with you visa far_x, at least you can leave the country- I am US restricted at the moment. Have a crimbo pint for me :beer_yum:
Hopefully i can get mine within 4 years from this last summer when i applied (through work), so that is only 7 years total before being officially allowed to stay! US restricted too while i wait on a trip to become available or some time to do so to get that new visa stamp. No nice exotic vacations for me for a while :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom