Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did a special treat for my charter group today. Vis being bad in shore my wife talked me into taking the group to Sheridan Tug. OF course 9 boats parked on it fishing. Did first dive on Seafood barge and group had a great time. They took lots of pictures and already emailed them to me. Will post later on our charter boat web site. Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat

Tons and Tons of bait fish. Vis about 25 feet When sun was NOT blocked out by bait fish.

Second dive on Sheridan Tug when fishemen all left at once. The had a GREAT dive there also. LOT's of fish. Schools of Jacks which you can see in pictures when we post. Temp up to 78 again at bottom.

Just put 15 tanks in the trailer because my wife wants the two of us to go out there again Tomorrow to dive all day. We shot lots of pictures which we will post on web site so everyone can see the conditions and fish. Plan to Shoot more video and pictures tomorrow.

Seas were good. A Few Roller in the A.M. but laid down later.

Will hit a few shallow spots on the way in Tuesday and report.

GREAT DAY TO GO DIVING TODAY!!!

3 dives at vetrans today. A ledge, the pyramids, and the barge pile. Had to wait our turn to do the barge pile. Vis was 25 - 30ft. Water temp 81deg. seas 2-3ft in the am and 2ft on the way in. A very nice day.

Monday, Sheridan & Blackthorn. Water temp 79. Vis about 25-35 per my wife/divemaster and guest. BE SURE TO CHECK OUT PICTURES ON OUR WEB SITE for that day to see for yourself. Should be posted today or tomorrow. Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat Click on trip pictures.
Tuesday, Sheridan & Blackthorn water temp still 79 but vis dropped to about 15-20 feet.
In 50 feet about 10 feet Vis Monday. Sea conditions good both days. Did a half day trip Tuesday, 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. Ran thru some rain storms on the way in. Did some surfing in the pass. Dolphins were playin and going airborn.

Dove tarpon springs reef today with TMET. We had a real nice dive. Horizontal visibility was about 30ft and finally seems to be improving. Water temp 80deg. I dove with a rash guard and board shorts and was comfortable. Seas 2-3 ft in the am and calmed down in the afternoon. I wish we had gone out at 11am instead of 7am. Winds SW at 10 - 15. At tarpon springs reef we found an area of hard bottom about half the size of a football field. There were many sponges, small coral heads, and small rock piles but not many fish.

Only went out to 50-60 foot off of Clearwater due to the fact that the forecast was a little off, the 2-3 foot chop was more like 5-6 going out, down to 2-3 coming in at 4pm. Was on ledges all day saw lots of bait lots and lots of undersized grouper Kober3513 got to see his first GG pretty nice 400+ pounder started popping pretty good as we got close to it. bout 3 rays one being at least 6' across.

Water temp on the bottom- 77
Vis- a foggy 35ish horizontal still a little bit of snot hanging around
Current- not hardly noticable

Sunday 5-31-09

Time: 9:00am
Air / Water : 85 / 81
Wind: Gentle breeze, hot sun when there's no shade.
Water surface - Slight wave rolling 1'-2' mixed with light chop
Tide - Almost at high
Viz - good 20' (10 to 40 little snotty, 40+ wide open)
Depth: 64 ft. (temp on bottom 77)

Can't wait to get back out there, see those tanks, along with some new holes and ledges.

Sat, May 30th, about 5:45 a.M. Driving south along Edgewater Dr. in Dunedin to our Dock in Clw. NOT looking good so I had my wife pull up all the weather stations from Crystal River to St. Pete and read off to me real time wind and direction. All stations except Clw report 10 knots or less. Clw reporting 13-14 knots. 15 knots is my cut off point.

If you do not have these reporting stations along with radar on you cell phone you should. At least 3 out of 4 captains I show this to do not and get so excited about it they can not stop thanking me for showing them.

Since I only had 6 divers and and not a full boat I decided to make the run. Capt. Rod from the Plunger called me to see if I was going to cancel because he had a Instructor and students he wanted to send me.

Going out Clw pass normally I have so many boats around me that I normally have the Dive Master steer the boat while I make my mandatory radion check and file a float Plan with Tow Boat U.S. and give them my return time and P.O.B.

This day I was the ONLY boat going out the pass at that time. PRETTY NICE!

Because of the big seas decided on a Big break about 2 miles West of the Vet Barge.

Of course the ONLY other boat out there arrived about 5 minutes before me but had a hard time finding it and getting anchored so my diver got in the water about 30 minutes before his two did.

Lots of fun sitting on the surface for hour by myself in big waves...NOT!

Glad I had a 12 foot beam.

Divers said LOT's of fish including at least 2 GG on the ledge. Had one of my favorite divers on the boat who dives with us many times a year. I call her the fish counter and she does about a
1,000 dives a year all over the world. She reported of some fish I have not seen in awhile since the red tide and I was thrilled.

Second dive I slide East to the Vet Plane barge. They reported even better vis there. Water temp still about 80.

The saw lot of bait which always means lots of Big Fish. All six divers had a hour plus dive had dozens of stories about the fish.

Seas laid down some on way in. A great trip even with the big seas.

SUNDAY, May 31st.

Took 12 divers to Sheridan and Blackthorn. A little wind from West but a LOT better then Saturday.

Water temp about 80, vis 30 to 35. Lot of bait but NOT as much as past two weeks. Not as many fish breaking surface as past two weeks.

Everyone had a GREAT time and were pumped up. We have some good pictures of them posted to web.

Following sea on way in which the boat and I did NOT like.

Tues 6/2 smooth seas on the way out. Decided to go to the Sheridan as Tmet had never dove this. H&L boat beat us there and set up right on top of it.... anyway we dropped in on the blackthorn.

Vis was about 40ft with the sun barely peeking threw the clouds.
Temp on the bottom was 78

a hour later the H&L boat was still there, as well as a few other dives boats that was not very happy.

Couple dives later stopped at the Vet Vis was about 25ft tops there.
-1' chop on the way in

Seen some baby jelly fish floating around. going to have to start wearing protecion again soom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom