Arg my brain is going to explode: reg choice suggestions much appreciated:)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGBrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a reg to dive mostly around where I am now, that is:
Vancouver island/West coast of BC.
Dry suit
Temps are usually 38-45F.
There is a fair amount of particles/sand floating in the water where I will be diving the most.
I used scubapro rental regs.
the octo sucked, free flowing frequently, so I wish to avoid that one(think it was an R190)
Al80(rental) for now
I am looking at a DIN reg if available in my price range as I am considering upgrading to a steel(possiblyHP) tank, as I suck a good amount of air.
I will be runing only a small SPG off the tank, with a wrist mounted comp(not AI)
I'm fairly open to configurations(ie primary+secondary or primary+octo)
but would like to stay fairly close to the school style setup, primary+ secondary/octo in the triangle for now since I'll be taking courses for some time to come and that is easiest for now.

The LDS services Mares, Dacor, Scubapro for certain, and I believe they also service apeks and oceanic.

I am looking at continuing instruction and going deeper as well as underwater photo and would prefer a minimum of bubbles in my face.

My price range is around 300$max, 200$ prefered
not including octo/gauges, although recomendations for the octo/reliable SPG would be appreciated.
my price range for those is 150-200$ for both.

So far I've been looking at the mares rebel, and the regs that scubatoys has to offer.
but am not sure which of them are good in colder water.
I don't mind refurbished either if I can save a good chunk of change on em.

I've seen mares ice freeflows once in 17C temp

JGBrown:

I dive mostly around Vancouver, so we dive the same water.

I dive Atomics (M1 and Z2) my buddy dives Apeks (XTX200). When I bought a 40 cf bottle and he needed an extra reg, I picked up the Salvo SR2 and he bought the Oxycheq, which are basically the same reg. For anything at a recreational depth, those regs breath extremely well and if I had to start with no regs today I'd pick up some of the Oxycheq at $190 (www.golemgear.com). They are simple, sealed(!) regs which have service kits available online.

The first stages are very similar to the DiveRite and any shop that can service DiveRites can service the regs above.

YMMV.

Bjorn

ok I have dove in the vancouver island area and given the price range you have set for a 1st and 2nd stage the mk25/s600 is out of your range at nearly a grand. the mk2/r190 is in your range and it is a good reg (I have had them to 150 in the area that you currently dive in)email ogden point dive center and tell aaron that wally sent you and he should be able to give you a good deal on a full set of regs

I hate to say it, but if your price range is between 200 and 300 CAD you're not going to get very much. I haven't tried the oxychq reg, but it's probably your best bet for that price range. I have talked to several people who have purchased mares regs and wished that they hadn't and only one guy who loves his. He is however, constantly having to fix it. My recommendation to you would be to spend a bit more an pick up an apeks ATX 50. Apeks makes good solid regs and as such a lot of people around here, my self included, choose to dive them. I've heard good things about atomics as well, but my understanding is that they're a bit on the pricey side (Bjorn, correct me if I'm wrong).
You should be able to get a decent spg and hose for about 120 bucks. I can't really make any recommendations on those but I have noticed that while apeks makes good regs, they're sogs tend to be a bit on the wonky side. My on ebit of advice would be to get a brass spg over a cheaper plastic one.

You can get a Zeagle DSV, DIN with yoke adapter, adjustable regulator with a manufacturers warranty for a little less than $300.00. The first stage is dry-sealed and the second stage has a heat exchanger.

S. starfish:

I've heard good things about atomics as well, but my understanding is that they're a bit on the pricey side (Bjorn, correct me if I'm wrong).
You should be able to get a decent spg and hose for about 120 bucks. I can't really make any recommendations on those but I have noticed that while apeks makes good regs, they're sogs tend to be a bit on the wonky side. My on ebit of advice would be to get a brass spg over a cheaper plastic one.

S.Starfish: My Atomic Z2 was maybe $30 cheaper than an Apex ATX50. But yeah, I love my Atomics. But just the first and second stage with nothing else is still going to be over $500 Cdn locally.

SangP: So you're basically saying to look at the info I posted elsewhere instead of just in the post in this thread? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom