Argon bottle mounting..how and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to be two conflicting opinions here. Might this have something to do with the types of wings being used & where the rear dump sits?

If a 13cf bottle really does get in the way off the rear dump, then I can understand mounting it to the tanks. But surely this is something that people would prefer to avoid; mounting it to tanks is just going to make your profile wider.

Also wouldn't mounting it to the tanks effect how your wing sits?

TSandM could you please tell us what system you use? Cheaper and simpler (if it works well) is always good in my book!

It <sounds> like conflicting information because some people have metric tanks that have different dimensions. And I people are mixing up what size tank you have, offering options for tanks you don't own, and mixing in some non-DIR answers.

If you have a USA sized 13cf bottle (dimensions available at Luxfer and Catalina) then mount it on the tanks. You can put it on the plate but it will rapidly get in the way of stage bottles. 13cf are better off mount on the tanks, I have 2 (wish I had lp14s though) and that's where I put them. They are suboptimal for OW diving but actually better for cave diving with sawtooth profiles.

If you have a USA sized 6cf bottle mount it on the plate with a loop of 2" webbing and a bungie through the lowest plate hole. These are optimal for OW diving but suboptimal or even inadequate for sawtooth cave diving.

All argon bottles do influence the wing a little bit at various times but its not enough to be relevant.

Well I tried it. And it will work. But as many have said a 13cf or 14cf gets in the way. Perhaps more importantly it can push back against your wing and trap air in it.

Mounting it on my tanks is what I will be doing. As for this being sub optimal, one of the guys over here dives a lot of deep wrecks with some pretty tight penetration and says he does not find the 13cf bottle to be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom