Argon bottle mounting..how and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There seem to be a number of ways that people choose to mount their argon bottles. I would really appreciate input and advice on the various DIR methods as there seem to be a a few. Any links or diagram and explanations why certain ways work better than others would be appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

If you search the DIR forum, you'll see at least 5-6 argon mounting threads on the first page alone. All scintillating reading, of course.

Here's a gallery with some setup pics:
Argon setup

for cave diving or OW/wreck diving?
which size cylinder do you have?

I do OW diving in Monterey and use the 6cf on my backplate with two velcro straps and a bungie on the bottom...

Very secure and has not given me a problem. I had prior to the velcro straps, two 2 inch straps cut out to hold the bottle in but it was harder to take out the bottle at the end of the dive, so I opted for the quicker release of the velcro.

MG

I do OW diving in Monterey and use the 6cf on my backplate with two velcro straps and a bungie on the bottom...

Very secure and has not given me a problem. I had prior to the velcro straps, two 2 inch straps cut out to hold the bottle in but it was harder to take out the bottle at the end of the dive, so I opted for the quicker release of the velcro.

MG

That is my preference too, I use a 6 cf bottle held to the plate by 2 velcro straps, very satisfyed with this configuration, but it probably won't work well with bigger bottles. I think it is better protect from entanglements, and if it happens, I can easily access the bottle to solve the problem, if that happens with the argon bottle attached to the back gas cylinder, most probably I would depend on my buddy to untangle.

As I am most of the time diving wrecks, entanglement risk is a great concern for me.

Mine is a Catalina s13, which I think is 13cf. Is there a preferred way of mounting a bigger sized argon bottle compared to say the 6cf?

I have seen some people strap them to tanks, but that seems like a big entanglement hazard. Would I be correct in assuming you would mount it on the plate/waist band?

Mine is a Catalina s13, which I think is 13cf. Is there a preferred way of mounting a bigger sized argon bottle compared to say the 6cf?

I have seen some people strap them to tanks, but that seems like a big entanglement hazard. Would I be correct in assuming you would mount it on the plate/waist band?

13 and 14cf bottles go on the backgas tanks with 2 straps - not on the plate. Halcyon makes some straps and so does oxycheq
TankRigging
Plate mounting a 13 or 14 would conflict with the butt dump and your deco bottles.

The 13 and 14cf sizes are really more applicable for cave diving and don't present an entanglement there at all. They may be a bit bullky for wreck diving, where the 6cf bottles are typically mounted on the left side of the plate with one strap and a loop of bungie at the bottom.

The 13 and 14cf sizes are really more applicable for cave diving

Agreed, in wrecks, because of entaglements with use the plate mounted 6cf protected by the wing and reacheable by the hands, in case you need to untangle, but in caves, entanglement is not a concern (... unless you make a big mess with the guide line...), so you can use 13 or 14 cf, but this is to big for the plate, must be mounted on the backgas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom